Tuesday, February 27, 2007

My Spontaneous Regression

We were huddled behind the counter. I was shaking slightly but tried not to show it. I wanted to be strong. The crunch of boots on the snow was rhythmic and unrelenting. It was cold on the floor. The sound was louder and closer.

About 18 years ago I was covering a talk by a woman who works with dementia patients. During her talk she had us sit quietly while she played a tape of a rhythmic banging sound.

It was terrifying.

While others in the session said afterward they were soothed, or the sound invoked a wonderful memory from childhood, I just wanted to run screaming from the building.

What was I seeing?
I was seeing me, as a young man, huddled on a floor behind a counter with my arms thrown over a young dark-haired woman.
It was November, it was the 1930s, and it was nighttime.

In my mind I could see the writing on the shop window. It looked like “G. D. Schir” and I had the feeling it sold kitchen utensils and may have been a bakery, too.

“Geschir,” said my German-speaking friend later. “That means utensils.”

This was my very first past-life regression, and it was spontaneous.
This sort of thing happens all the time. A fragrance reminds us of a past lover. A song we haven’t heard in 30 years takes us right back to junior high school. It’s common, but we don’t normally cast it in terms of regression.
But what about when we remember something that we know darn well didn’t happen to us this time around?

Maybe it’s happened to you. Have you ever gone somewhere new and felt like you’ve come home?
Or met someone new and remember that it’s someone you love?

Some are past-life memories. Others are triggers that we’ve set for ourselves to work through something, or to get on with our life’s works.
They’re a natural and normal part of life. But if you’re new to it, then it’s can be scary.

My spontaneous regression was disturbing, but in an odd way I welcomed it. I’d always thought I’d had a German life and figured it was around WWII.
I felt cheated growing up that I couldn’t speak German. When I did hear the language, it left me yearning for more.
I’ve had several regressions since and have seen who I was then. It’s settled something inside me.The terror I felt that day spurred me to find out more, and to become a hypnotherapist.

Perhaps it was a trigger I’d set for myself. Maybe I just need to confirm that what I’d always believed about a previous existence was true.
But whatever the reason, I had a spontaneous regression one day and I’m grateful.

I’d like to hear about spontaneous memories you’ve had, and what triggered them.

No comments: