Friday, June 22, 2007

Have You Hugged Your Rhubarb Today?


It’s a noble plant though considered a bit lowly perhaps as it grows in ditches and is common.
Because of this we rarely give it much thought. After the first rhubarb pie of spring it’s forgotten in favor of more exciting summer fruits and berries.
It languishes along the edge of the gardens barely registering with us until it goes to seed and the stalks turn hollow and woody.

Rhubarb deserves better than that. Relish, chutney, juice, eat it stewed or in a pie. I’ve mixed it in with strawberries and cherries for a favorite glorious summer pie.

Back on the farm when I was young I’d sometimes eat it raw. I’d break off a stalk and munch away. I’m not fond of sour tastes, but on hot days it was quite refreshing.

It grows anywhere under almost any conditions, handles frost well, and I’m not sure it can be killed by conventional means.

It’s free, tasty, and right under our noses. It asks so little and gives so much. Let’s show it a bit more respect, okay?

4 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Plus it's got a funny name! How can you not love a vegetable with a funny name?

It's not something I ever think of eating, don't know why. Rhubarb pie is tasty, but then any pie is tasty. I need to get better acquainted with this humble plant, as it sounds like it needs some love! Will keep an eye out for easy rhubarb recipes.

Thanks for the tip!

Samantha said...

Oh maybe I will do that. I will hug a rhubarb today. It will have to be at the store though.

Dawn said...

It's winter here in New Zealand so the rhubarb has died down - but I shall look mindfully at its place in the garden. I'm a rhubarb fan!

Leah J. Utas said...

Rhubarb is a funny name. You're right, Crabby. That's part of its charm.

Store rhubarb needs love too, Samantha.

Glad to meet another rhubarb fan, Dawn. My husband is a big rhubarb fan, too.