Thursday, June 7, 2007

Rewards

When you start choosing the loving way it starts choosing you, too. Your kindness could be returned in any way-–big or small--at any time. It may not even seem related. When you establish a pattern of treating people kindly balance comes with it.


Here’s an example. Back when I was reporting I covered Provincial Court for The Mountaineer. One morning the parking lot at the courthouse was full so I parked on the street in a two-hour parking zone. Normally there is at least one recess during the morning session so I wasn’t concerned. I’d be able to slip out and move my car.

However, that morning the session went smoothly with no need for a break. When lunchtime came I walked out into the bright noonday sun to a find a parking ticket on my windshield and a $5 bill lying in the snow beside the driver’s side front tire.

The money was exactly enough to pay the fine.

Call it coincidence if you like. Write it off as just one of those things that happens if it makes you sleep better at night.

I say it’s the Universe at work and I’m grateful.

3 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Okay, here's an example of my shallowness:

My first thought was not: "Oh, the universe was at work," but

"Parking tickets are only $5 where she lives?"

(Perhaps it's because I suspect the universe mostly finds me annoying).

Leah J. Utas said...

I thought someone would wonder about that, Crabby. At the time, under the Town bylaw, the fine was $15, but if you paid within a certain time the cost was knocked down to $5.

Dawn said...

I'm a big believer in the whole "what goes around, comes around" philosophy.