Friday, June 29, 2007

Under A Blue Moon

We’ve got a blue moon this weekend. Not a literal one, of course. That hasn’t happened in a while.

But it’s the second full moon this month in these parts and I say we ought to enjoy it. We can even sing about it if we like.

That aside, I have trouble sleeping during full moons and have for years. I don’t know why, but I’ve decided to be grateful for it. It gives me a chance to get up and look around and I do find them beautiful.

Have you noticed anything unusual about full moons? Science dismisses any of its effects on human behavior. Science can go hang as far as I’m concerned. I covered many a board meeting during my reporting days and I’ve witnessed how the moon’s phase messes with us.

If a County Council meeting fell on a full moon and previous sessions had gone smoothly, then it would drag on forever. It would be filled with snipping and sniping and arguments aplenty.
But if councilors had been argumentative in the past, then the full moon made the meeting a smooth-flowing love-in. It would be over quickly, which was fine, but there wasn’t much to report.

Meanwhile, why not put the June 30th blue moon to good use?
Like any full moon the energy is great for cleansing and charging crystals. Set them outdoors overnight and let them absorb the moon’s rays.

And spend some time out underneath it yourself. I think it’s good for us. I feel better when I’ve let the moonlight wash over me and if the weather’s good, I’ll take the time to get out and recharge myself.

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Raced to my calender to look but we don't have a blue moon in June here in New Zealand, but we will in July.

Does the first showing of the full moon count as a blue moon or only the second?

Whatever - I'm ready for it.

Leah J. Utas said...

I believe it's only the second one that's blue, Dawn.
Enjoy 'em while you've got'em.

Crabby McSlacker said...

So science says "no" now to the supposed effects of a full moon?

I'd always heard that there were spikes in all kinds of weird behavior when the moon was full. And I thought there were actual studies behind it. Just myth?

Well, Science has a way of changing its mind all the time. So if you think a full moon really has an impact on people, then I'm sure Science will get around to agreeing with you again one of these days.

Virginia Lee said...

When I had a yard I liked to go moonbathing or moonbasking. Occasionally, I would even moondance! I highly recommend moondancing, with or without Van Morrison. ;)

We had stormy weather here for this blue moon. :/ Bleah. But I was awake and looking for it anyway!