Friday, October 5, 2007

Final Round And Busted Back To Rough Draft

I sent out another--and the final--round of proposals and query letters for my third manuscript. If no one bites, then I’ll withdraw it.

Give up? No. That sounds defeatist.

What’s happened is I’ve run out of publishers to contact. After this last half–dozen there’s no house left which accepts unagented manuscripts.

So, get an agent, right? In theory, yes. But I am currently no one and I have a thin platform. Any agent I could get now is the kind of agent I should avoid.

So what I’ll do is take the hint. I’ll withdraw the manuscript from consideration and roll over the material into a newer, better, bigger, stronger and more dynamic book that’s sure to turn me into an overnight success. Or at least a properly published author.

Anyway, they’re off and all I can do is wait.

Meanwhile I gutted book four aka “The Book That Won't Get Writ" the other night.
By the time I’d finished deleting and cutting and pasting I’d pretty much busted it back down to rough draft.

I took out a hard copy. It’s maybe 50 pages single-spaced in Times New Roman. It ain’t much, but it’s a start.

Again.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leah: I'm confident that you will eventually get published. If it takes 4 drafts or 40, you will eventually write THE book.
Keep it up - it will happen.

Reb said...

Leah, I agree with sis, it will happen! And hey! This is the third and three times is a charm right?

Keep your chin up!

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

It's all about the market. It might just be the right book at the wrong time.

Hang in there!

Leah J. Utas said...

Bag Lady, Reb, and Bunnygirl - Thanks for the votes of confidence.

You're right about the market, Bunnygirl. Timing is important.

Michael said...

Hmm. I haven't even thought of submitting directly to publishers. I thought it was standard practice to look for an agent. Even so, I can only empathize, since I've had nothing but rejections (or just no response at all!) so far. It makes worse when you have to wait six months to query.

That sounds like a good plan you've got, Leah. Keep trying. I'm sure you'll get your book out there!

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Hi Leah,

Writing a book is the toughest thing I've ever done. Until gutting and re-writing that is.

The only thing I am absolutely sure of is that writing is better than not writing.

Someday it will happen. Your blog shows such spirit and talent that I know someday we'll be celebrating your success.

Terrie

Terrie Farley Moran said...

P.S.

Forgot to mention, my novel is still searching for a home. Didn't want to sound like I found a publisher for it.

The anthology Murder New York Style includes a story I wrote and I am extremely proud that it will be published next month, but the search for an agent and publisher for my novel goes on . . .

Terrie

Leah J. Utas said...

Terrie - Thanks for your supportive comments. I really appreciate reading them.

You are absolutely right about writing being better than not writing.

I know your novel will find a good home. I fully expect to see it on the shelves. I'm looking forward to reading it.

Leah J. Utas said...

Michael - Thanks. I intend to keep trying and I intend to be published.