Monday, December 3, 2007

Gratitude Monday – Herbal Remedies

I’m happy to say I’m feeling much better. For the past 5-6 weeks I’ve had what felt like a very friendly and very well-fed pussycat flopped on my chest.

It’s hard to love an oppressive weight and even harder to get shed of it. I tried the Edgar Cayce castor oil pack which in this instance did nothing. Lavender oil eased things a bit and assorted herbal teas helped to a degree. Commercial cough syrups did little. I almost went to a doctor, but decided instead to try a different cough syrup.

I had two choices, one of which I’d used many years ago. The other was totally unfamiliar. What they had in common was their ingredients were listed by botanical name. My husband has degrees in forestry and botany and ran a health food store for more than 12 years. He prefers plants be listed by their botanical names as the common names can refer to different plants depending where you live. Fortunately, he was with me in the store.

One syrup had only on ingredient which I think he said was an extract of geranium. The one I’d tried in the past has dandelion and loquat and European licorice and coltsfoot and a few other herbs. It was exactly what I needed.

I’m grateful the invisible pussycat is getting thinner. I’m grateful to be feeling better, and I am especially grateful that my husband understands botanical terms.

8 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

I love the way you find ways to be grateful in challenging situations! I'd be whining about the cat on my chest and might forget to appreciate how great it is to have a helpful spouse. Hope the new remedy works and that you're feeling better soon!

the Bag Lady said...

The Bag lady is grateful that you are feeling better, too!
She's also grateful that it isn't any colder than it is! She is grateful for her woodstove that helps keep her house toasty warm in this cold weather. (She will be even more grateful when it finally warms up!)

Reb said...

Glad you are feeling better. I'm grateful my boss is on holiday, it means I get more hours.

Virginia Lee said...

Your chest-kitty sounds like my BYF cat who used to like to be "Elephant Baby" whenever he could. Miss Mama came up with that term, btw.

I'm glad you're doing better. Do you have a vaporizer? Or how about just adding some menthol to a bowl of steaming water and inhaling the fumes while holding in the steam with a towel over your haidbone. Eucalyptus can help too.

I'm grateful you're better. :)

Leah J. Utas said...

I am feeling better. Thanks Crabby, Bag Lady, Reb, and Virginia Lee.

I have a humidifier. I might add some essential oil to a bath if the improvements stop.

Leah J. Utas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Ann (bunnygirl) said...

Glad you're feeling better! That's always something to feel grateful for!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Bunnygirl.