Friday, July 4, 2008

Friday's Child - Out On A High Note

Well, it finally happened. I've run out of posts from the Prozac Palace blog. The following is the last of its kind.
It's a meme and therefore a change from the usual fare. It's a pleasant change and lets Friday's Child end on a positive note. That's always good.
Thanks for reading.

From Saturday, December 29, 2007. The final post at Prozac Palace.

Five Things About Me

Blog buddy Polly Kahl at Recovery Reconnaissance tagged me recently for this. I’m supposed to give out five things about me which are odd, interesting, different, and/or obscure. I am odd and different to begin with so those aspects are covered nicely. I’ll try to be interesting.

1. I was a journalist for nearly 20 years. Following a column on my new age beliefs I was mentioned in the sermons of five different churches on the same Sunday. It’s a career and personal high point.
2. I once took photos of Canadian military parachuters as they jumped out the gaping maw of a Canadian Forces jet. I was thoroughly strapped in with a bit of lead line that let me wander a few feet. I’m terrified of heights and could barely look out unless I was looking through the lens of my camera.
3. I wrote a play in high school that was produced at a provincial drama festival and earned an honorable mention.
4. Part of my left thumb is missing. I had ringworm of the nail and had the nail bed removed when I was 13 years old. The remaining flesh was flipped over so it has a rounded end.
5. I was nearly kicked out of the largest beer hall in the world for making too much noise.

I’m supposed to tag five others, but I’ll do this instead: You’re it!
And thank you Polly for letting me play.

**
We now return to regular programming.

Happy Independence Day to my US readers.

9 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

What a great list.

I may have seen these originally, but have such a crappy memory they surprised and/or amused me all over again.

The beer hall incident especially!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Crabby. I think the beer hall incident is quite an accomplishment.
Good to know I may have surprised you.

the Bag Lady said...

It made me laugh out loud to think of you almost being kicked out of a beer hall for being too noisy!!! You, of the (ordinarily) calm, quiet behaviour, of all people! Must have been quite a party. Sorry I missed it!
Thank you for sharing your journey with us.

Leah J. Utas said...

Oh,dfBag Lady, it was. Contiki Tour. 1987. Munich. Beer by the litre.

Reb said...

Leah, that photo shoot must have been great! It is wonderful when you can face your fears head on.

Good list, love the beer hall incident.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Leah,

This is a high note. Your fives prove what you've been showing us all along. You are quite a woman.

Terrie

Leah J. Utas said...

Reb, the parachute shoot was one of my favourite days as a reporter. I was more than game to go and no one else on the editorial staff wanted anything to do with it. Watching those guys jump from right beside me was amazing.
The beer hall incident is among the highlights of my life to date and will be hard to top.

dfTerrie, thanks. Coming from "the oldie but goodie" herself that means a lot. And Happy Birthday. I know it's a few days early, but it might slip my mind on the 8th so I'll wish it now while I have your attention.

Thomma Lyn said...

*giggling* about making too much noise at the beer hall! Those were all very interesting, but I'm not surprised -- you strike me as a fascinating person who enjoys having a wide range of experiences. :)

Leah J. Utas said...

TL, I've been called many things over the years, but fascinating is new. Thanks. I really do like to experience different things and being a reporter gave me plenty of opportunities.

Ah, the beer hall. Fond, fond memories. I think.