Thursday, September 18, 2008

Oh, Unspectacular Me!


Lake Louise, Alberta, in late afternoon.

Blog buddy Thomma Lyn at Tennessee Text Wrestling offered the Six Unspectacular Quirks meme recently to anyone who wanted it.
I have many quirks and the bulk of them are unspectacular. I’ll try to narrow it down.

1.I like to read the newspaper when I eat breakfast and lunch. I think it improves my appetite. I’ve associated reading with eating most of my life. Food for the body requires food for the mind.

2.I have to put my left shoe on first. I honestly believe I have a better day when I follow this rule.

3.I really hate to throw things out. I do it, but I know I’ll eventually wish I had it.

4.I like chew toys. If I need to concentrate I’ll stick a toothpick in my mouth. This works especially well when driving.
Once years ago I fell asleep with a toothpick in my mouth. It was my best sleep ever.

5.My favourite book is the dictionary. It distracts me no end, though. I open it to look for a word then promptly forget when I was looking for because I’ve stumbled on a fascinating word.

6.If I don’t exercise before breakfast it simply does not get done. I’ve tried to convince myself I have the rest of the day to do it, but it seldom works.

The point of the photo?
It's spectacular.
My quirks are not.
I’m glad no one’s presented me with a meme for listing the dullest things about me.
Hmm, maybe we should try it one of these days. What do you think?
Anyway, this one is fair game for anyone who wants it.

17 comments:

Thomma Lyn said...

hehe, Leah! I love your quirks. I laughed out loud at "chew toy!" I used to like to chew the lids off ball point pens, but since I use pens so seldom anymore (I type on the computer almost all the time), I don't have that habit anymore. :)

Like you, I love to read while I eat. Usually, I read blogs because I eat at my desk!

And ah yes, the dictionary is a wonderful book!

Leah J. Utas said...

TL, I'm so pleased I made you laugh. Oh, my, pen lids.
You must have good teeth.
I find it's best if I don't eat at the computer. I'm quite messy.
Thanks for doing a meme for me to steal.

Reb said...

I like your choices Leah. I need to find me a chew toy, I don't like toothpicks in my mouth. I read blogs while eating, but I put my shoes on right foot first. I don't know if it makes a difference though. Wikipedia is just as distracting as the dictionary for me. I follow the damned links, next thing I know, it four hours later and I haven't found what I set out to find.

Crabby McSlacker said...

That is indeed a spectacular picture!

And I like your quirks. I share some of them myself, and the others all seem quite understandable.

I think there is much to celebrate in the "unspectacular" details about us that make us who we are.

Penny said...

I agree with Crabby, I think the little, seemingly unimportant details are what makes everyone so interesting! I love reading the newspaper whilst eating too, and spreading the papers all around me on the sofa so by the time I'm done I look like a hamster in a paper nest.

My Quirk - I love apples but I think they taste better chopped into slices. It feels like such a shame to eat them any other way.

TA x

the Bag Lady said...

Love your quirks, dfLeah.
I need to ponder about mine awhile.... reading while eating is a given for me, especially when hubby is away. Left shoe first - always.
Love the photo!

Leah J. Utas said...

Reb, chew toys are great. I understand about Wiki. I avoid clicking there unless I really want to spend the time.

Crabby, thanks. I think you are right about celebrating the unspectacular about ourselves.
It's the small bits, not the big stuff, that makes each of us unique.

Tokaiangel, love the hamster nest image. And I think fruit is better in slices, too.

dfBag Lady, thanks. Left Foot Forward!

Polly Kahl said...

As usual your picture IS spectacular. Love the image of you sleeping with a toothpick in your mouth. It's like a tiny slim wooden teddy bear. I've never been a toy chewer but those who do it swear by it. Thanks for the giggle.

Leah J. Utas said...

Polly, thanks so much. I've been tempted to nap with a toothpick on purpose, but I'm afraid of swallowing it in my sleep. Obviously, I've gotten away with it so would probably be okay.

Y'know, I'm a Dog Year so this chew toy business,well, that's natural.

Anonymous said...

One of my quirks? When I'm eating my dinner (for instance, if I have a protein, a veggie, and a multi-grain carb), I have to have a small bite of each in my both at the same time. And it's usually protein first, then carb, then veggie. It tastes better that way. Wow, that makes me sound really OCD.

Leah J. Utas said...

LG, that's an interesting quirk. Thanks. It's kind of like cooking everything together in one pot so all the flavours meld. Plenty of food quirks around like eating all of one thing on a plate then moving on. They make us who we are.

Melissa said...

Golly, I'm going to have to think about this.

The not wanting to throw away things is not so quirky as the chew toy thing, I'm thinking.

I think one of my weirder quirks is that I like to refill my glasses before they get empty. Because when they're empty they're "dirty" glasses.

Leah J. Utas said...

Melissa, I can understand your point about refilling glasses.
And yes, I suppose liking/needing something to chew on is pretty quirky.
It was the major upside to having a TMJ splint. I had a chew toy in my mouth all the time.

Anonymous said...

I love your quirks as well and love that you deemed em chew toys.

too funny.

I love to be number 5 and am entirely number six.

entirely.

Leah J. Utas said...

Hey Mizfit, thanks. Glad you got a kick out of "chew toy."
I'm working on changing #6, but it's not happening very fast.

Barbara Martin said...

Reading while I eat is a good use of one's available time.

Leah J. Utas said...

Welcome, Barbara. You've made an excellent point.