Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Full Moon and Federal Election

Full Harvest Moon over the first range of hills in the West Country.


It's Election Day here in Canada and anything can happen. It could be a Conservative majority. It could be a Conservative minority in which case it'll fall in a year or so and we'll have another election.
Or it could be a Liberal win. A minority would mean the government will fall in a year or two and we'd have an election. A majority is unlikely but would bring stability.
Or it could be a Coalition government with the NDP and Liberals. That won't last long and we'll have another election.
Unless there's a majority win we're off to the polls in a few years instead of the four years entrenched in law by the Harper government and then broken.
I'm not sick of voting. I'm glad to do it. I think we ought to have an election every two years so we can turf the government out at our pleasure, not its, and if these minority governments keep getting in, then that wish just might come true.
There's a full moon today. Anything can happen.
Get out and vote. Give our leaders something to howl about.


16 comments:

Hilary said...

The polls open in less than three hours. I'll incorporate it into my morning walk - then return later with the kidlet to get him registered by oath/vouch. He's less impressed with this right than I was, or his brother was at 18 but it'll grow on him.

Thanks for mooning us! :)

Leah J. Utas said...

I'm happy to moon you any time, Hilary. Glad to learn you take a morning walk and good for you for voting.

Anonymous said...

Im so embarrassed that I had no idea.
like the holiday this past weekend (well, I knew before the weekend but still).

I cringe for us americans who get lost in thinking we're the only ones (waves hand redinface)

Leah J. Utas said...

Mizfit, it's no crime for you to not know Canada is having an election today.
Many Canadians have studiously avoided this knowlege.

the Bag Lady said...

Ah - the election and a full moon. Wonder if this will bring out the crazies to vote and things will turn topsy-turvy, or if it will just be yet another boring Canadian election....

Leah J. Utas said...

dfBag Lady, I am hoping for some sort of full moon influence.

Missicat said...

Hope things go well....we have only THREE WEEKS until our big Presidential election. eeeek!

Terrie Farley Moran said...

df Leah,

Happy Election Day, the most important holiday in any democracy.

Thank you for voting and for urging others to do the same.

Terrie

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Missicat. I certainly wish you the very best of luck in the Presidential race.
dfTerrie, thanks. It's my pleasure to vote and I consider it my sacred duty to browbeat others to do the same.

Reb said...

Lovely photo Leah! Maybe it will influence people to go out and vote! I am heading out in the next few minutes to cast my ballot and I still don't know which way to go. I think Harper called it for before the U.S. election just in case Obama got in. If it were after, people might vote a different way.

Dawn said...

That moon image is fantastic! Lucky you to spot it.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Reb. I curious to see how the moon affects the voting public.

Thank you, Dawn. I'm happy I had the opportunity to get this pic.

Thomma Lyn said...

What a beautiful picture of the moon. I hope things go well in the Canadian elections.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thomma Lynn, thank you for the compliment and I appreciate your well-wishes. The country needs them.

Penelope said...

That moon is so beautiful, it makes me think of Halloween.

I hope your elections aren't nearly as dramatic as ours. I'm so ready for all of this to be over . . .

Karen

Leah J. Utas said...

We don't have quite the excitment you do in our elections, Penelope. Glad you like the moon.