Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Elephanthead

Elephanthead.

This elephanthead was already losing its full summer leaf a few weeks ago. I found it along the lake edge at Twin Lakes. Its colour and its character caught my eye.
It has a short season thus reminding us that summer is fleeting. It should be enjoyed while it is here. I've done what I could to make the best of what the weather offered.
I noticed something else. When I saw it enlarged it reminded me of  Ganesha, the elephant-headed Hindu deity. Ganesha is looked to in several areas including wisdom, success, as the remover of obstacles, and writing.
Do you see it, too?

12 comments:

Tabor said...

I guess I see the essence of Ganesh..not an actual shape. Interesting plant. Interesting photo.

David Cranmer said...

I don't quite see the comparison but agree the elephanthead is eye-catching.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Tabor and David. It may just be me.

the Bag Lady said...

Very cool picture, cousin. I do see a resemblance to elephants, but must Google for Ganesh (that sounds slightly dirty, doesn't it?)....
in order to do a comparison.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you, Cousin. Perhaps the link I chose doesn't show it as well as another might. Glad you can see it, too.

Reb said...

What a lovely flower/plant. When I do the second enlarge, I do see the likeness, especially in the one face on near the bottom.

messymimi said...

Take joy in what you have while you have it.

Yes, it does remind me of an elephant.

Writing Without Periods! said...

Love the photo of this interesting plant. Nature is beautiful.
Mary

Leah J. Utas said...

Reb, glad you see what I see.

Messymimi, wise words.

Mary, it sure is. Thanks.

Ron Scheer said...

One sees outside what is in oneself. So finding Ganesh in a plant in the wild is surely a good sign. Thanks for the lesson. I hope to see a one-tusk elephant with four hands now myself.

Nancy said...

Yes! I do!

Leah J. Utas said...

So true, Ron. Thanks. And I'm sure you will.
Nancy, that's wonderful.