Monday, August 30, 2010

Gratitude Monday --Garden Fresh Edition

The best part of this time of year is the garden harvest.
I love fresh veggies and am grateful that I have a small garden in the back. I can collect a few peas and carrots now and it is wonderful.
Peas straight from the pod can't be beat and a carrot is best when the dirt is barely off it.
While the peas and carrots-- nature's perfect veggie combo--are mine, the corn is from southern Alberta.
It's Taber corn and it's about the best ever.
We were worried this year as the flooding in the south this spring set growth back a few weeks. It just arrived late last week and the fellow who sells it from his truckside stand said some producers may not have any. It's their livelihood. I hope they survive to plant again next year.
Meanwhile, who wants to shell the peas for me?

14 comments:

Hilary said...

I'll shell if you'll husk.

Looks like a lovely harvest.. and amusingly, the word verification is "caroti."

Leah J. Utas said...

Works for me, Hilary. I'm quite happy with the produce this year.

the Bag Lady said...

Hmmm - I started to leave a comment earlier, but something must have happened to it.
I love shelling peas, so count me in!

I heard a rumour that we won't be getting any Tabor corn up this way - I hope the rumour is wrong!

Writing Without Periods! said...

You mean these things don't grow in a bag. I'm shocked!!! :-)
From desert girl, Mary

Leah J. Utas said...

Blogger eats comments all the time, Cousin.
I hope you get the Taber corn up there. The stuff from the north is pretty good, too. How did that crop work out?

Mary, I'm sorry the news came so harshly.

messymimi said...

I'll send Bigger Girl to shell peas in exchange for some growing tips. She just started learning to grow veggies this year and could use some pointers.

Reb said...

Lovely harvest and fresh corn on the cob is the best thing in the world! To bad about the Tabor growers, I hope they will be around next year too! Although Dunvegan makes mighty fine corn too.

WV: upicurea take that how you will ;)

Leah J. Utas said...

Messymimi, my only tip is compost and trusting nature to take its course.

Reb, thanks. I've had Dunvegan corn once and it was might fine.

Frank Baron said...

Fresh, raw peas in the pod are among my most favourite treats. Count me in for husking.

(Just don't count on there being a lot of peas left for dinner by the time I'm done....)

Leah J. Utas said...

Frank, straight from the pod are the best.

Cheryl Kohan said...

Lookin' good, Leah. You've got quite a green thumb, there.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Cheryl.

Thomma Lyn said...

SQUEE! What a delightful harvest! And I'll help you shuck those peas. I love to eat 'em raw! :-D

Leah J. Utas said...

TL, I love 'em raw, too. It's amazing I leave any for anyone else.