Monday, August 9, 2010

Gratitude Monday --Moose Drool Edition

Ya gotta love a brew that calls itself "Moose Drool."

I sure do.
Yes, this week's gratitude post is about beer. I'm grateful that I can tolerate a bit of alcohol now and again and I am grateful that I had the chance to drink a bottle of this fine beer when we were in Montana over the long weekend.

It has top notes* of dark coffee and dark chocolate and a lovely finish with a wee hint of bitter. It is refreshing, entertaining, and goes very well with steak.

I'd seen it around at various spots in the state, but I confess to being initially put off by the name.  But on our way home on Sunday we stopped at a steakhouse and I decided to give it a go after asking the waitress what local brews were available.  She suggested this and let me see the bottle first.
I'm glad I tried it. I was so taken with it that the next morning I found some in a convenience store when we stopped for gas and brought a half-dozen home with me.
They're waiting in the fridge.


Nota bene, the Moose Drool makers, Big Sky Brewing Co., in Missoula, Montana have not paid me to shill for them.

*I have no idea if this is the right term for discussing the taste of beer.

13 comments:

carla said...

ok this made me SMILE as, given the title, it was not what Id anticipated by way of a post.

thank you for the smile.

Miz.

messymimi said...

It sounds like the perfect way to describe the taste of beer. You make me want to try it, and I seldom drink because it makes me so darn sleepy after just a small amount,

Leah J. Utas said...

Miz, so happy to make you smile. You're welcome.

Messymimi, thanks. It really is worth a taste.

the Bag Lady said...

Hmmm, the name is a little off-putting, but if you say it's good, I might have to give it a try when we go down for our holiday!

Chris said...

Moose Drool is great stuff, if you like darker beer anyway. I love just about everything Big Sky puts out. Missoula is home to three outstanding microbrews; besides Big Sky Brewing we have Kettlehouse and Bayern as well. Excellent! It's a great home town for beer aficionados!

Thanks for mentioning my home town, Leah!

Leah J. Utas said...

Bag Lady, you have my strongest possible recommendation to try this beer.

Chris, it paired very well with the meal.
Maybe next time I'm in your fair state I'll try something from those other microbrewers.

I really quite like Montana, Chris. It's got a lot going for it.

Reb said...

Sounds wonderful. Too bad I can't drink beer.

Tabor said...

You should never judge a book by its cover.

Leah J. Utas said...

I'll have your share for you, Reb.

You're so right, Tabor.

Writing Without Periods! said...

I'll have to share this with hubby, he loves beer, any kind. Love the name.
Mary

Leah J. Utas said...

Mary, I hope he likes it.

David Cranmer said...

Yep, I'm there! :)

Leah J. Utas said...

Glad to know it, David.