Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Two Sentence Tuesday--More Words

 Where are my characters taking me?

I've added plenty of words to the manuscript lately. I'm starting to get an idea of where the characters want to go, but they're still being coy. I'd threaten to walk away and leave their stories untold, but we both know I can't do it.
They have me, at least for now, and they know it.

From Dead Broke:
"The being on my left twinkled his eyes toward me. He had a 20 year old's face framed by long white hair, and a gentle smile that took my troubles and threw them over a cliff."
#
I've been blessed to have plenty of reading time lately. The smoke from hundreds of fires in B.C. settled over us. Much as I like the smell of woodsmoke, it got to be a bit much so I stayed indoors, writing or reading or even  housework when my eyes needed a rest.
It gave me time to lose myself even more in what I was reading. I'm reluctant to come up for anything when reading, but last week I read The Lovely Bones, by Alice Sebold  (Little, Brown, and Company, 2002) and I fought back every hint from my body that it was time to do something else. Whatever it wanted, I turned a page instead.
Two sentences:
"Every day he got up. Before sleep wore off, he was who he used to be."
#
Thanks for being here. Two Sentences Tuesday is the brainchild of the Women of Mystery.
Check 'em out. You'll be glad of it.

16 comments:

Tabor said...

Those two sentences are better than anything I have written all year. Must be nice to have such talent...but it appears you also work at your writing.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you, Tabor. I appreciate hearing it. Yes, I have been working at it and the work is paying off already.

the Bag Lady said...

Excellent lines, cousin! I'm looking forward to reading mroe.

Ron Scheer said...

"But in Texas discourse is seldom continuous. You may fill in a mile, a meal, and a murder between your paragraphs without detriment to your thesis." O. Henry

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you, Cousin.

Ron, excellent point.

Laura K. Curtis said...

I've never had the nerve to read The Lovely Bones. I know the story and I just can't make myself do it, though I really want to.

Writing Without Periods! said...

I loved Lovely Bones, but could not watch the movie. It is way to creepy.
Mary

Leah J. Utas said...

Laura, follow your instincts.

Mary, I'm quite curious about the movie, but I'm not good with creepy.

David Cranmer said...

".. threaten to walk away and leave their stories untold." That gave me a good chuckle. I should threaten my characters too.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, David. Do what you must.

Clare2e said...

Well, I liked the character whose gentle smile throws troubles over a cliff. Something about the contrasting sound of it made me smile, too.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Clare. That wonderful to read.

messymimi said...

I agree that I want to meet your characters. You make them live, even with only a sentence to get to know them.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you so very much, Messymimi.

Reb said...

Oh, I want my troubles throw off a cliff! I quite enjoyed "The Lovely Bones".

Leah J. Utas said...

Don't we all, Reb?