Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Twofer Tuesday -- A Grand Plan

As I wrote in this post last week I've commited myself to 1000 words a day. So far, so good. It all started early last week when I noted my word count one day was 932. Well, I thought, that's just a few ands, ifs,  and thats away from one thousand. Maybe I should make it a target.

As a bonus the story which was not moving is now crawling forward. One of my characters did not wish to grow, change, or do anything, despite taking some drastic action to get to where she  is.
On the good side she's not my main character. She was going to be a second MC, but if she insists on stagnating, then her role changes.

I have been reading over what I've put down so far with special focus on the first chapter. I introduced a few questions back then that it's high time I got around to addressing. I'm working on it.
I'm happy to say that during some sessions, like yesterday's, the words gushed out, like this:

 Old Faithful, Yellowstone

and I was happy.

But there are still days when the session is more like this:

and I gnash my teeth as I write, but I am still happy.

I suspect Dead Broke will be one on those manuscripts. You know the type. The one that comes up in the queue and must be written to get at whatever's behind it. 
I could be wrong. But right now I don't think I am.

Two lines from the manuscript:

"A bullet-shaped beige lump with a peaked cap smiled up at me and twinkled  its deep brown eyes. This is what my afterlife had come to: a dildo with glasses and a wanton fringe of hair offering his services."
#
What have I been reading?
Glad you asked.
I had the unqualified pleasure of reading Gregory Maguire's Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West.
He did a magnificent job of bringing Elphaba to life and making us care about her. She may be wicked to some, but she loves fiercely, in the absolute, and on her own terms.
She who is perceived as wicked is frankly better and more honest than the good one who is corrupted by the perception of absolute good.
Maguire did a much better job of twisting around our sadly pedestrian notions of good and evil and of making us think than Salman Rushdie did in The Satanic Verses,  and he did it without Rushdie's self-important bloviation.
Two lines from Wicked (Harper, 1995)

"But Elphaba only nodded grimly. 'I couldn't agree with you more, ' she said.
'As for Shell-'continued Glinda, wondering what fresh pain she might tread upon."

Thanks for reading. For more Tuesday twos, please see The Women of Mystery.




15 comments:

carla said...

yep.
sometimes my session is like that as well.

BUT since you announced your 1000 words a day I, too, have written 1000 (or more!) a day.

thank you for motivating me.

David Barber said...

Hey Leah. Well done on achieving you 1k words a day mark and continued success! I wish I had time to write 1k a day at the moment. Although I've done just that this morning with my story for FFF (an unexpected day off, which are cool when they happen). I'll have a read over and post it later.

So, I ask myself, if I can do that this morning, why can't I do it everyday? Only I can answer that by trying. I'm going to try my own little challenge. My "dusty" novel needs to get finished!

BTW-I have cousins who live in Boise, Idaho. My parents have been over to see them a few times and my dad took an almost identical photo as your first one. Are you far from there?

Have a great day!

David Cranmer said...

Good for you and 1K a day. When I'm in the full swing of creating that is a very doable #.

Leah J. Utas said...

Carla, good for you. I am glad you've taken up the challenge. You've motivated yourself, but I get your point and you're welcome.

David B., thanks. Good for you for getting one thousand words down this morning. You won't know until you try, so get after than novel. I'm proud of you for dusting it off and getting at it.
We took a long weekend trip to Yellowstone recently. We live in Alberta, Canada (Rocky Mountain House) so it was a long drive, but worth it.

David C., thanks. Most days 1000 is fairly easy. When creating's not in full swing, that's when it's a challenge.

the Bag Lady said...

Congratulations for meeting your goal, cousin.
I loved your lines - totally cracked me up!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks so much, df Bag Lady.

Ron Scheer said...

1000 words/day add up slowly but surely. In a year's time you can be looking back on 365,000.

Alberta... I'm currently reading Bertrand Sinclair's RAW GOLD (1907), set around Fort Walsh and Writing-on-Stone. Instead of sheriffs and posses, there are the NWMP. Interesting difference, and a Canadian perspective on cowboy ways and attitudes from south of the border.

Leah J. Utas said...

Ron, they do add up, but 365K would mean whole lot of editing for me.

The book sounds interesting. BTW, I've been to Writing-On-Stone a few times. I love the area. It's peaceful with the strong undercurrent of something vibrant.

messymimi said...

I do admire writers. Good for you for sticking to your 1k/day.

I think L. Frank Baum, who just set out to write a typical fairy tale, would be awed and amazed at what has been done with his characters.

Reb said...

Great photos Leah and good for you for doing 1k a day. I laughed at your lines, great job. Really want to read Wicked now.

Leah J. Utas said...

Messymimi, thanks. I think you're right. Baum would be amazed at what's been done.

Reb, thanks so much. I strongly recommend "Wicked."

Unknown said...

nice lines. Gotta love anything with the word dildo in it! :) Also I like the descriptions... and that one little word, (afterlife, I mean)definately intriques me.

thanks for commenting on my blog btw. look forward to reading more!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks so much, Huddlekay.

Writing Without Periods! said...

1K...that's great. Get it out on the page.
Mary

Leah J. Utas said...

Mary, that's my evil plan.