Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Two Sentence Tuesday -- Who's in Charge?

My latest WIP is being uncooperative at best. I was about 2000 words in when another character walked into the scene with yet another character beside him.
Okay.  Fine. They had their moment. I continued with what I wanted only to discover the second character believes herself to be important to the story.  I suspect she is correct, but I can't sort out how yet so I'm writing her back story.
As I write it the first interloper, her father, wants some attention as well.
All I can do is write what they tell me now and sort it all out afterward.
Two sentences I wrote for Bound: 
"Mitha was always cold. Even when the sun rained down on the mountain pastures and warmed the clear running streams that whispered and laughed down the hills, she was cold."
#
I started reading Freda Warrington's, Elfland (Tor 2009)
" 'To deny us is a devastating breach of tradition. It's not just for our own benefit--the Earth needs the flow of Elysian energy as much as we do.' "
#
Thanks for being here. For more or to get in on the fun, please see the Women of Mystery.

10 comments:

Bossy Betty said...

Those unpredictable characters! Can't they call or write before showing up?

Leah J. Utas said...

Mannerless louts, the lot of them, Betty.

Tabor said...

I always enjoy reading the struggles that writers have with those characters who have minds of their own.

Clare2e said...

I always wish mine would boss me around! They're lazy, thin, almost transparent things who demand that I blow the steam up their mechanical heinies.

messymimi said...

Mitha has my sympathy, i'm always cold, too. It's the reason for the problems with my hands.

She could have politely asked to be let in to warm up, however.

As for Elysian energy, Yes, Virginia, there are fairies, for the same reason there's a Santa.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Tabor.

Clare, mine boss me around enough for the both of us. That said, I totally understand.

Messymimi, maybe she will. And yes, faeries exist.

Reb said...

Lovely stream you have there. I used to be able to relate with Mitha, then the hot flashes started.

Leah J. Utas said...

Hot flashes are good for something, Reb.

Dawn said...

I'm really enjoying reading your sentences, over and over. It sounds so lovely and warm. I for sure wouldn't be cold. Not after this winter.
Your characters sound like they need to stop interrupting so often. You have a lot of patience with them!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you so much, Dawn.
If my characters developed manners I don't know that I'd recognize them.