Monday, April 11, 2011

Gratitude Monday -- How 'bout those Interchoobs?

Late on a July evening in Elk Island National Park
The Internet.
I am grateful for it.
Most of the reasons are obvious. It makes communication fast and easy.  I can put my opinion and pictures out for public consumption and get near instant feedback.
It allows me to have conversations without having to go out in the world, and it gives me the chance to think before I write.
Not that I always do it, of course, but I have the opportunity.
I'm looking for a literary agent now. The search is easier from home on the computer as there's information available about who is good vs. who is a scammer.
With Internet comes email. Many agents accept email queries which saves time, money, and trees.
It can also be a huge time-sucking waste, but we have the option of walking away.
Whatever else it is, it makes navigating through huge reed patches of information, misinformation, and disinformation that much easier.

14 comments:

Laurita said...

An excellent gratitude. How else could you meet so many fascinating people without leaving home?

Dawn said...

I have to agree. As much as I often lament of the time I spend and how impersonal it feels....I have actually "benefited" more than not from my little wired up notebook;)

Leah J. Utas said...

Laurita, that's absolutely it.

Dawn, it can take up so much of the day, but I agree, there are rewards.

Tabor said...

Fascinating this change in publishing one's work...keep us posted on the steps and best of luck!!

Virginia Lee said...

I appreciate this post particularly, Leah. The months I lacked a computer and internet service were just another misery piled on top of a whole set of other miseries. Once I had a computer and access to the 'net again, I regained my sense of self. That reads as overly dramatic, but it's the truth. I don't think I'd have recovered my will to live after cancer w/out it.

And really, if I didn't have the internet, I wouldn't know you and that, my friend, would be beyond terrible.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you so much, Tabor. I'll report as I can.


VL, it would be a loss for me if I didn't know you. I intellectually comprehend what you are saying. It's to the point I feel rudderless when the connection is down.

David Cranmer said...

It's now hard to imagine life before the net.

Nancy said...

Have you thought about Smashbooks?

messymimi said...

Yes, grateful to be able to get to know people from around the world, especially what makes us alike and what makes us different. Those are things we can celebrate.

Leah J. Utas said...

David, it is difficult. It is. Even though I was long past full grown and then some when it became popular.

Thank you, Nancy. I will look.

And it is worth celebrating, Messymimi.

Reb said...

It is amazing how something so intangible has taken over our lives. Without the internet, the computer is a handy tool, nothing else.

Leah J. Utas said...

So true, Reb.

Hilary said...

Some of the finest people I've never met hang out there in cyberspace. How could it be anything but wonderful (I know there are negatives.. but..)?

Leah J. Utas said...

Hilary, despite the negatives it really is wonderful.