Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Progress Report -- It's All Good

Looking southwest and down.

It's good to get away from the computer.
I've been contacting literary agents lately as well as working on a synopsis of my manuscript. Many agents want one sent with the query letter so those who do are still to be contacted.
To date I've found 50 -60 agents and emailed a query to 14 of them.  I've had five rejections and one request for the first 50 pages of the manuscript.
In my view I'm doing okay for now.
Still plenty of work ahead of me and there are more agents out there. But for now I'd say it's all good.

Getting away from work is a good way to get some distance from it on many levels. It's even better when away takes me out west to the Rockies for a hike. I haven't been doing much hiking in the past few years due to a nasty bit of business with my heart.
The hike was a good way to test how I'm doing especially since I've cut down on the beta blocker dosage.
We took it slow and I rested frequently, but only for a few seconds at a time. The incline was gentle in most places. We had one steep slope only because we were skirting a herd of Bighorn Sheep napping in the sun on a hillside. We didn't want to disturb them.

It was good to be out in the fresh mountain air again and get some exercise.
The sun was shining, the sheep were napping, the butterflies were flittering about, the prairie anemones (crocus) were opening their fuzzy purple heads, and we had a wonderful hike.
I came back refreshed and ready to tackle the synopsis and fix up the query letter a bit. I realized as we were coming back down that I should mention I maintain a blog.
As noted earlier, it's all good.

15 comments:

David Barber said...

Excellent news, Leah. Good luck with the agents. I'm working towards that, very slowly unfortunately. My novel is refusing to rear it's ugly head at the moment. I'm sure something will come out soon.

Tabor said...

Glad your health is improving and there is no therapy better than the great outdoors. Good luck with the novel!

David Cranmer said...

Fingers crossed here on the ms, Leah.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you David, B. I hear you on the novel. Keep at it. They come out as they want.

Thanks so much, Tabor. You're right about outside.

David C., thanks.

Ron Scheer said...

Nothing like a hike to clear the mind.

Leah J. Utas said...

So true, Ron.

Dawn said...

This is wonderful Leah!
Here's hoping for it to be not only good...but getting even better in the days ahead. Looking forward to hearing the GREAT news!

You took a beautiful hike. We are really quite lucky to live by those majestic mountains with their trails and scenery. Does the heart good.

the Bag Lady said...

Glad you managed your hike well. Sounds like it was a perfect day.

Good luck with the agents!

Chris said...

Did the same thing last night myself, sauntering off into the woods.

Good luck with the agent search!

Reb said...

Lovely photo. I'm glad you are well enough to hike and that you saw such wonderful scenery. Good luck with the agents.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Dawn. I insist that it gets better. Yes, I am blessed to live so close to them.

Thanks, Bag Lady.

Chris, that sounds lovely. Thanks.

Thanks so much, Reb.

messymimi said...

Good luck with the agent, and continued good health.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks so much, Messymimi.

Dawn said...

I've got my fingers (and toes) crossed for you with the agents. Keep your thoughts very positive because I'm sure we attract what we think about.

Leah J. Utas said...

Dawn, thanks for your support. I agree about attraction. I'm doing my best to lure one to me.