Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Two Sentence Tuesday -- Of Hares and Hauntings

Our current bedtime story, translated from Finnish, is about a fellow who wanders Finland with a bunny.  He hits it with his car, rescues it, and walks away from his life with the hare at his side.
It's wonderful and funny and a joy to read.
Two from The Year of the Hare by Arto Paasilinna (Penguin 2010):
"Hannikainen had a knapsack on his back; a hare's head peeped out from under the flap.
Vatanen rushed over to them, grabbed the knapsack from Hannikainen's back, undid the cord, and welcomed the hare into his arms."
#
I've spent the last few days or so trying to craft a query letter and synopsis for Dead Broke.
I've got the bare bones of both. It's going to be several more days before I have something I'm content to let sit for a while.
Here are two from the query:
"Eddie Corbett, shot dead over a gambling debt, wakes up on the wrong side of the afterlife. If he wants a new life he has to earn it by doing off-label jobs for God like hauntings and sending people to their deaths."
#
Thanks for reading me.
For more or to get in on the fun, please see the Women of Mystery.

15 comments:

Laurita said...

I'd want to read more based on that snip of your story.

David Cranmer said...

The Year of the Hare. I may have to look for that one.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Laurita.

David,it's a good read.

Laura K. Curtis said...

I'd totally want more given that hook!

Bossy Betty said...

Ohh! I find your query very enticing. Hope others do too!

Reb said...

Oh, I like your lines! The story about the hare sounds interesting.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks so much, Betty and Reb.

messymimi said...

It's a pleasure to read your blog. You are one of the people i want to see make it big in the publishing world. You work hard at your craft and you care. That's important.

solarity said...

Those two sentences from the query should leave no one in any doubt that it's an interesting story.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Dawn said...

I'm with "solarity" on the query!
And that bedtime story? Sounds like one I need to begin.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you for those wonderful words, Messymimi.

Mary Anne, thank you.

Thanks, Dawn. I think you'll enjoy the hare story.

the Bag Lady said...

As always, I agree that your lines are intriguing! Good luck with the queries!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Bag Lady.

Frank Baron said...

Jeepers Leah, don't mess with your lead sentence in the query. It's a keeper.

Leah J. Utas said...

Frank, that means a lot. Thanks.