Monday, February 27, 2012

Gratitude Monday --Experiment Edition

Pea Soup from pea flour with Farmer's Sausage.

I made a batch of pea soup from pea flour yesterday. I've done it before. It works. That's not the experimental part.
I used Farmer's Sausage in it in place of ham.
The day before I'd made a pot of beans from scratch and used some of the aforementioned sauage in it rather than bacon.
It's risky replacing bacon. Certain things are expected of a product which would normally contain it.
I'd rather not do it, but it worked.
The sausage has a good, smoky flavour that went well in the beans.
Replacing ham is not quite as risky, but still one should proceed carefully.
It smelled really good all through the afternoon. A pot of soup on the stove on a cold day is comforting. I swear it even helps me write.
It worked.
It was good
And for that I am grateful.

5 comments:

messymimi said...

It must be great stuff if it can replace bacon; enjoy!

the Bag Lady said...

Yum! Sounds good.
I have a ham bone in the fridge - must make pea soup today!

Leah J. Utas said...

Messymimi, it had a wonderful smokey flavour to it. I fried it with onions for a while and deglazed the pan for a makeshift stock. It worked, but it needs more work.

Bag Lady, it was. I recommend pea soup. The weather insists on it.

Red said...

Now to display my ignorance, I have never heard of pea flour. Have made beans before and they are really good.

Leah J. Utas said...

Dried peas ground to flour, Red. Nothing very exciting. Can be used in baking, and I've had it made into pasta.