Monday, March 26, 2012

Gratitude Monday --Memories

I am grateful for a great many things in life. The air I breathe, the place I live that allows me to be in the mountains in about an hour, the time and freedom I have to travel. Some countries have restrictions on their nationals visiting other countries or even talking to a visitor from another land. We can go anywhere we please and talk to anyone we choose.

Today I am grateful not just for having travelled, but for the memories of those trips. I can go back anytime in my mind and relive those moments, breathe in the air, feel the textures of the trip both physical and emotional, hear the sounds, and be there once again.
As the years pass the relived moments lose their acuteness. Feelings and fragrances dull, as do sights, and sounds grow fainter with the years.
But the memories themselves are there, they exist, and they cannot be taken from me except by the ravages of disease or the simple passage of time.
I have photos to help remember. As long as I only have time with which to fight, I will still have my memories, and for that I am grateful.


This is out the window of a train in the Andean Altiplano 21 years ago. A local man leaned against the door at the back of the car playing a haunting melody on his pan flute. It is a memory that will stay with me for as long as I have memories.

12 comments:

Bossy Betty said...

Nothing can ever replace those memories from traveling! Thanks for reminding me to be grateful today.

Dawn said...

THANK YOU! How right you are!! I never thought to be thankful for my memories...I will remember that!
:)
Have a wonderful day Leah.

Leah J. Utas said...

So true, Bossy Betty.

Dawn, it is one of many things we just don't think about.

Red said...

I find that things like pictures or journals bring things back . I kept a journal for about ten years. when I read it I tend to remember everything from that day. Beautiful shot of the moutain.

messymimi said...

Yes, i'm grateful for all the traveling i got to do, and hope i can do so again someday.

Hilary said...

Your reminders of gratitude are something for which to be grateful, also. Thanks.

Leah J. Utas said...

The written word is a great way to recall, Red. Thanks.

I hope so, too, Messymimi.

Thanks, Hilary.

the Bag Lady said...

Yes, there is much to be grateful for, and memory is so very important, for without memories, we cease to exist.
Thanks for the reminder to be grateful!

Reb said...

Beautiful shot Leah. I am grateful to have memories too, well, most of them ;)

Leah J. Utas said...

Bag Lady, excellent point. Our memories make us.

Reb, thanks. I understand. A few make me cringe, too, but they are real.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Wow, what a beautiful photo and a lovely memory!

I'm often torn between leaving the camera behind and spending more time savoring the moments (rather than getting frustrated trying to capture them, especially as I am a crappy photographer).

But then I'm so grateful to have the pictures to remember!

Leah J. Utas said...

Crabby, thanks. I took my camera with me everywhere until a few years after J school. It may have raised a few eyebrows even with my J school buddies, but I have those pics now. That's what matters.