Friday, April 27, 2012

Photo-Finish Friday --Ice Wall



This is the ice wall on the Kootenay Plains west of Rocky. It's well used by ice climbers and tends to stay intact well into June.
There's a path beside it for those who wish to hike up the ridge.
I've done it. I recommend it.

The ice wall becomes a mud wall in summer as it is spring-fed. Despite that, it is climbable in the summer. Start on the side path and  and then switch over to the drier parts of the mud wall.
It has good rest spots with spectacular views.


For perspective, here's a long view of the wall.

8 comments:

messymimi said...

Not just beautiful. A place where you can just be. Thank you for pointing out to me places i would never otherwise see.

Leah J. Utas said...

Messymimi, that's exactly the kind of spot this is. It is my pleasure to post these pics.

Reb said...

Just lovely, maybe once my iron is back where it should be, I should try the hike.

Unknown said...

Just gorgeous! I loved this picture even though it looks very cold and I am trying to get myself into the warmth of summer.

Red said...

I've never gone in to this ice flow. I've climbed Windy Point Ridge behind it many times. Took Outdoor Ed kids up.

the Bag Lady said...

That's so cool.... hehehe.
A fabulous shot, cousin, and looks like quite a hike.

David Cranmer said...

Majestic is the first word that comes to mind, Leah. It really is quite incredible.

Leah J. Utas said...

Reb, I recommend it. I'm hoping to get myself back to the point where I can make the climb.

Meandu, thanks. It's not so bad by June. Quite refreshing to walk next to to ice.

Red, it's a good walk. I think you'll like it.

Bag Lady, thanks. I hope to do it again soon.

David, it truly is majestic.