Monday, November 11, 2013

Gratitude Monday --Thanks

10150384199306926


This is my mother, Pauline Thomson Utas.
She served in the Canadian Women's Air Force during WWII where she, among other duties, learned to tap dance.
She attained the rank of Leading Air Woman, a natural progression rather than a promotion proper.
It also progressed naturally to the standing joke,  "Follow me I'm a Leading Air Woman."



10150210428256926
This is my dad, Eugene Utas.
He was conscripted to the army in WWII at 22.
It is said Canada had an all volunteer army and I am here to tell you this is nonsense.
Dad was given three opportunities to sign a form that said he volunteered.
No one was punished for not signing, but neither was one promoted.
Dad respectfully declined each time on the grounds he did not volunteer and would therefore be lying.

Thanks, folks, for all you did.

15 comments:

Tabor said...

You come from pretty amazing stock!!

MIZCarla said...

I love the old photos and that you are willing to share them with us.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Tabor.

Carla, it is my pleasure. I am glad you're enjoying them.

Chris said...

I need to get my hands on the picture box at my folks' place. These are great.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Chris. I strongly recommend you do.

the Bag Lady said...

I love these pictures of your parents.
Your dad was conscripted, but my dad volunteered, apparently, for the navy. At least, that is the way I've always understood it happened. Too late now to check.

Leah J. Utas said...

As I recall it your dad volunteered for the navy to avoid conscription to the army.
I think you told me this. Unless it was dad.

solarity said...

I admire your father's truthfulness.
My first thought on seeing your mother's picture was "I wish I could have heard her laugh."

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you, Mary Anne.

messymimi said...

Your mother looks like she was a natural leader, and i'm sure you are proud of your father and his honesty. That shows character.

Leah J. Utas said...

I sure am, Messymimi.

the Bag Lady said...

It must have been your father who told you that because I don't recall hearing that. Perhaps he chose the navy so the family would be represented in all of the different branches of the forces - wasn't Uncle Johnny connected to the air force?

Leah J. Utas said...

Yes, Johnny was in the air force.

Bossy Betty said...

So inspirational. Love the photos too.

Hilary said...

Wonderful photos and your dad was clearly a leader also. I think I see some of your face in his.