Monday, January 27, 2014

Gratitude Monday -- Great Day

The other day I went looking for a book I needed to refer to, but it wasn't there. I'm quasi-organized about my books. For example, UFOs in one case, witchcraft in another, science fiction in a third, with plenty of overlap based on years purchased.
The book I needed should have been on the second shelf, right siden of the fourth bookcase I'd acquired and located in the spare room.
It wasn't.
I looked twice through the whole case and then looked at other shelves in other bookcases.
Nothing.
I needed to do some straightening as the case devoted largely to cookbooks was a glorious mess. I decided to fix up four of the five bookcases yesterday. The fifth only requires re-shelving and will have its moment another time.
I found the book I needed nowhere near where it ought to have been, another one above it it I can also use, several books I forgot I had, several more that needed reading, and best of all I found the guitar pick I'd lost two years ago.
I am grateful for the chance to go through my books and hold them and read the covers and wipe off the dust that accumulates when a books sits and is not actively loved.
It was work, yes, but it was good work and if I hadn't done it then I would not have moved the books on the shelf near where I keep the guitar stuff and therefore I'd not have been reunited with my favourite yellow pick.
It was a great day.



11 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

Love it when something turns up that was thought to be lost!
And this reminds me that I need to sort books and do some dusting and reorganizing of shelves. I did do one bookcase recently, but it's time to do more.

Leah J. Utas said...

It'll be time well spent, cousin.

messymimi said...

Good work, and a good outcome!

Leah J. Utas said...

Aye, and thanks, Messymimi.

solarity said...

I'm still not unpacked from moving almost a year and a half ago. I'm used to being able to find any book I want in the dark. I must carve out the time to finish unpacking and sorting books (and much else.) (But how to keep from sitting down to read something every few minutes?)

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Mary Anne, I understand. Whenever I drew out a book I'd forgotten about or hadn't read yet it was a fight to not read it right then and there.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Great way to turn a "loss" into a "win!"

Bossy Betty said...

I love it when these kinds of things happen!

Leah J. Utas said...

Aye, Crabby and Betty.

Hilary said...

Every day would be a great day if we could have our pick... and you did. ;)

Leah J. Utas said...

LOL, Hilary.