Monday, July 28, 2014

Gratitude Monday - Don't Hesitate

I am  grateful for a great many things including, but not restricted to, being out of the hospital, feeling pretty good, and having discomfort as opposed to pain.
As colon cancer surgery goes mine went very well.

I have a few follow up things to do with one being injecting myself with an anti-coagulant for 25 days. This began yesterday.

It's a simple subcutaneous shot in the abdomen. The syringe is loaded and ready to go. I get a new one each day.
A nurse coached me on what to do Saturday morning as she gave me the shot. It's easy enough.
Grasp some skin,  plunge straight in.

I am grateful she showed me what to do right from wiping down the target area with alcohol to proper positioning and to pulling it straight out.
She told me to not hesitate.
She's right.
If I think about it, then it will take longer. It has to be done so I do it. I could have Home Care come in each day and give me the injection, but it seems like a total waste of resources.

I am grateful for the nurse's "quick inservice" as she put it, and I am grateful that my practical mind takes over and gets it done.


11 comments:

solarity said...

Congratulations on injecting yourself! No matter how many times other people have stuck needles into you without harm, doing it yourself is much harder.
I am grateful, however, that I had been giving myself my allergy shots for several years before I needed to inject another being.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Unknown said...

thinking about you...

the Bag Lady said...

One does what one must. I confess, it would take some getting used to, but sub-Q injections are not too bad to self-administer. Glad you are home.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Mary Anne. It does take a particular mindset.

Thank you, Carla.

BL, that's true. If I had to put the needle anywhere else I get someone else to do it.
Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Nice work on taking care of business, Leah!

crabby said...

OK, so if I were in your position I probably would not have the strength of character to either self-administer or summon up gratitude for the opportunity to do so--I so admire you!

Glad all went well and hope recovery is quick and smooth.

messymimi said...

You can do what you set your mind to!

Tabor said...

You are strong minded and that is why you are going to heal so well. Glad you have mild discomfort and I am guessing that will fade sometime soon. So good to hear the tough spirit in your writing.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Kimberley.

Crabby, awwww.

Messymimi, yup.

Thanks, Tabor.


Hilary said...

I'm glad to hear that it went well. You brought back memories of my Dad who was diabetic. He self-administered two shots of insulin every morning. I got used to watching it but thought I could never do that, if I had to. Good for you for taking control of your healing process. May it be swift.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Hilary. You never know what you're capable of until you get the chance to do it.