Monday, August 17, 2015

Gratitude Monday --Juiced

Our crabapple trees produced well this year. I'm certainly grateful for that.
I don't use them myself, but my husband does. Each year he picks them, and then boils and strains them for crabapple juice.
The juice goes on his morning oats.
I am grateful for the trees, for the use of their produce, and for my husband doing all the work. I would, but I don't have to.
I am especially grateful for that.

He was mostly done for the day when I took this picture.
It took him all day Sunday. He has another few gallons of apples to process.



10 comments:

CARLA said...

oooh #jealous.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Carla.

Crabby McSlacker said...

I've never heard of crabapple juice! Is it sour or does it taste like regular apple juice? I have to endorse anything with "crab" in the name just on general principle!

Leah J. Utas said...

Crabby, our crabapples aren't as sour as some. Mike was going to add sugar, but forgot. When I tasted it I thought it was just fine, and very apple-y.

solarity said...

Crabapple jelly is my favorite, and it's such a long time since I had any. (Making jelly, even when I have the stuff, is just not at the top of my list of necessary-to-get-done.) I'd never considered making juice. Is the color variation an artifact of the lighting, or is it because crabapples have so much variation even from the same tree?

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Mary Anne, I think the colour difference is because he didn't mash the cooked crabapples at first. He just drained the water/juice off.
After a few jars he took to pressing them a bit. Variations in the apples themselves may have been a factor.

messymimi said...

What a healthy, and i'm sure delicious, way to make your own breakfast!

Leah J. Utas said...

The juice was pretty tasty, Messymimi.

Tabor said...

Lucky and healthy you! I have never heard of crabapple juice.

Leah J. Utas said...

It's quite a treat for those that like it, Tabor.