Monday, November 2, 2015

Gratitude Monday--Repurposed Writing Edition

I've abandoned manuscripts here and there. Some part way through and others after a few rewrites.
Generally I keep them in one form or another as one never knows when a character, turn of phrase, or even a story bit will come in handy.
You can bet I am grateful I do it.

Yesterday such a thing happened.
I clicked on an abandoned manuscript and ended up reading a recast excerpt from a different manuscript. I'd made it fit with very few changes.
This particular manuscript still needs to rest. It may never see the light of day. But the excerpt might.
Either I can recast the original or recast this recast and make it a standalone story.
In fact, I've left myself a computer sticky note to do just exactly that.

I'm eager to get at it and will know shortly if it is workable. Whether it is or not does not matter right now. What matters is I have the material to play with and for that I am grateful.


6 comments:

messymimi said...

It's fun to dream and play and write and enjoy it even when no one else sees or knows, isn't it? Have fun!

Leah J. Utas said...

Yes, it really is, Messymimi. Thanks.

Hilary said...

I kind of do that with my photography. Certain images are worthy of keeping but not of using at the moment. Good for you for recognizing the value in what you have written and knowing that its time might well still come.

Kimberley said...

Once again, I am grateful to experience your gratitude. I think I come across everyone in life for a reason and your reason is to remind me over and over (because I am a bit thick headed) to be grateful. Thank you, Leah.

Tabor said...

Keeping a treasure of writings to re-visit and hone is a good idea. If was not quite ready the first time, it certainly can be polished or re-cut.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, all.