Monday, January 15, 2018

Gratitude Monday -- Warm Wishes Edition

We've had a spate of cold weather recently. It is Alberta in the winter so this is to be expected, celebrated even.
But even as one loves or hates it there is one thing we all agree on: we must be warm.
I am grateful that I have a home, a roof over my head, and that it has a furnace which works.
I do not have to wish for warmth.
I have it.
Should I wish to be warmer I can put on another layer or simply adjust the thermostat.
Most of the time I just put on more clothing. I like layers.
But there were a few days recently where I turned up the heat.
I am grateful I can do that and grateful that it responded quickly.
And I am grateful to be warm.



7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Warmth is definitely something to be grateful for.

Leah J. Utas said...

It sure is, Kimberley.

messymimi said...

Our winter is a pussycat compared to yours, and i am also very glad to be warm.

The people here who stand and beg at streetcorners in summer might or might not be homeless or in need. Those who are out in the cold are the real deal, no matter how they got there. Yes, i have stopped and bought coats for them if they needed one, as well as hot meals. We have no furnace but we have space heaters and heating pads and muddle through our winters well enough. People out on the streets sometimes do not.

Leah J. Utas said...

Good for you for acting on your caring, Messymimi. The world needs more of you.

solarity said...

The blog finally consented to load for me today, as I sit beside my wood stove in my long underwear after having the furnace people reschedule this morning's appointment until tomorrow because the roads are too bad, they say. This is the second time this month my furnace has been out for several days. I am immensely grateful that I have alternatives.

Only 64 days until spring.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Oh, my goodness, Mary Anne. That does not sound like fun. Is it fixed?

solarity said...

It is fixed, and perhaps it will stay fixed this time. They came this morning and replaced another part and I'm enjoying the magic of central heat and not having to warm my dishwashing liquid on top of the oven before I can wash dishes.

Value your insulation, my children. This stove kept 1800 square feet warm in the house where I first had it, which had R-38 in the walls and R-45 in the roof. In this house, built in 1938, it cannot keep 900 square feet warm when the temperature drops below about -8C.

Mary Anne in Kentucky