Monday, June 16, 2014

Gratitude Monday–Cancer, My Ass!

The above is my attitude and my battle cry.
Last Friday I learned I have bowel cancer, and I am grateful.
Why?
Because it all went very quickly and knowing is better than waiting.

I made a medical appointment on Monday for June 27, the earliest available.  I was told at the time to call at 08:30 any morning to ask about cancellations.  On Tuesday morning I went for a bike ride and thought about it. For days I had been seeing in my mind a  particular doctor examining me. It was not the one  I was to see on the 27th. When I called Tuesday the doctor who had a cancellation that morning was the one in my mind.

He sent me to the lab for assorted tests and set about setting up a colonoscopy appointment for me. He called the lab while I was still there, directing someone to direct me to a woman at the  hospital who provides info to day surgery patients.
She wasn't in, but called me a few hours  later to tell me the procedure was set for Red Deer Hospital on Friday.

I learned right away about the mass and that it appears to be curable by surgery alone.  The doctor took a sample for biopsy and is setting both CT scan and surgery for me.  If is hasn't moved past its current location everything will be sorted out on the table.
If not, I'll deal with it.

I've lost a bit of the extra weight I was carrying due to being on heart meds. I have a good appetite and plenty of energy. Ironically, I look and feel better than I have in years.
I have started in on fruit and veggie smoothies so my body will be healthier and be able to repair itself.  I've done some research and will do more, and I refuse to worry until I have something worth worrying about.
For all of this, I am grateful.

Cancer, my ass!

21 comments:

Unknown said...

so so so many prayers and thoughts of GRATEFULNESS your way too.
you have the best attitude.

xoxoxo

the Bag Lady said...

Love your attitude, cousin. I hope your surgery is scheduled as rapidly as the original appointments were and that you are fully recovered in no time.

Leah J. Utas said...

Carla, thank you so much for your prayers and thoughts.

Thanks, Cousin. Right now I wait, and drink fruit and veggie smoothies to boost my health and immune system.

David Cranmer said...

I'm grateful to have such a friend that's strong enough to tell cancer where to go. If you need anything at all please let me know, Leah. Thoughts and prayers your way.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you so much, David. I won't hesitate.

Crabby McSlacker said...

I think you have the BEST attitude and I don't think cancer stands a chance against it.

Kudo's to you for being so proactive and doing all you can to kick cancers ass. Will be sending positive thoughts to add to yours!

Virginia Lee said...

I love you. Cancer clearly wants to lose this fight, having chosen you for an opponent.

xo

Leah J. Utas said...

Crabby, thanks for the kind words and thoughts.

VL, thanks for the kindness. Sometimes cancer is just silly.

Unknown said...

Sending healing thoughts & Blessings. Cancer picked the wrong person to mess with!!

messymimi said...

You will be in my heart and prayers, and i'm grateful you are taking such a stance. It will keep you with us a long time, i'm believing that with all that is in me.

Unknown said...

We have relatives who won their versions of this battle -- or battles like it. Plenty of reason for confidence in the genetics.

And you have all the evidence you need about toughness and attitude. More confidence.

The timing looks good, too. Earlier is better, earliest is best.

A practical note as you prepare for a colonoscopy. The rule is clear liquids for the day before, and they put broth on the list. Beware clear broth like chicken or beef from a tin. It's salty. I didn't notice that going in, but I sure noticed it on the way out. Apple juice, tea, soft drinks, jell-o, even. No salty broth.

Good luck kiddo. Share what info makes you feel stronger.

GJ

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Elaine. I really appreciate it. You'd think cancer would know better by now.

Thanks, Messymimi. I intend to be around for about another 40 years.

Thanks, George. I have no idea if I've caught it early or not. I choose to believe I have.
Meanwhile, I had the colonoscopy on Friday and can sometimes still taste the prep and the jello I ate. Quite the combo. I made my own beef broth from scratch. Thanks for the tip re: commercial salty ones. I expect I'll need another of these procedures. Good to be forewarned.

Chris said...

Ugh. Consider me in your corner.

Leah J. Utas said...

Good to know, Chris. Thanks.

Anonymous said...

Blown away by your attitude! Love it!!!

Best wishes and positive, healing thoughts being sent your way.

Leah J. Utas said...

Hi Kimberley, thanks for the wishes and thoughts.
Thanks for stopping by.


Leah J. Utas said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
solarity said...

Healthy thoughts heading towards you. I know you always do your homework.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Mary Anne.

Hilary said...

Leah.. you need to write a book called Attitude and Gratitude (it probably already exists but yours would be better).

You are an amazing woman. Those stupid cancer cells don't stand a chance with your strength.

Best thoughts for quick recovery.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks so much for you kind words and support, Hilary.