Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Tuesday Twosomes -- Winding It Up

I've kept to my 1,000 words a day minimum plan for nearly a month now. I'm pleased to say that not only is the story nearing its end, but stuff actually happens in it.
I'd been concerned for a while because my characters didn't want to do anything. A cold, hard look at it told me it was one character gumming up the works. I could move the story along if she got left behind.
I did.
Serves her right
Two from Dead Broke:

"It was lazy here, lazy in the good way that warms you and makes you feel good about everything. It was like a perpetual Sunday morning, but without having to go to chuch."
#
I need more Philip K. Dick.
I read Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? (Del Rey Books, 1968) and didn't want it to end. There's something compelling about his dystopia that hauls me in and holds me at laser tube point. I hated to leave, but I had to know how it ended.
The book was the inspiration for Blade Runner. Much as I loved the movie, the book is leaps and bounds better.
#

Two from DADOES:
" 'What were your instructions,' Eldon Rosen asked, 'if you wound up designating a human as android?'
'That's a departmental matter.' "
#
Thanks for being here. For more or to get in on it, please see the Women of Mystery.

12 comments:

messymimi said...

Characters that won't behave, well, sometimes the squeaky wheel gets grease, and sometimes gets replaced.

Love your lines, and Bigger Girl is reading DADOES, so now I will have to borrow it from her when she is done.

the Bag Lady said...

Love your lines.
I have never read DADOES, and it's been so long since I watched Blade Runner that I can't remember it. Must try to find a copy of DADOES.

David Cranmer said...

"Serves her right." :)

Congrats on keeping the Jack London 1k a day. I do the same and it's really not that hard to achieve once you condition yourself.

The Dick novel is one of my favorites.

Leah J. Utas said...

LOL on replacing the squeaky wheel, Messymimi.
Thanks re: the lines. Enjoy DADOES.

Bag Lady, thanks. I hope you get hold of a copy soon.

David, glad I made you smile. There's a compelling rhythm to keeping to the daily target.

Ron Scheer said...

Big high five on the 1K-a-day routine. That's how it gets done.

Reb said...

Somehow I don't think I have read DADOES either - must remedy that.

Loved your lines and who needs uncooperative people in their lives, especially if they are fictional ;)

Laura K. Curtis said...

Did you...

*lowers voice to a whisper*

kill her???

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Ron.

Reb, thanks. I think you'll enjoy DADOES.

Laura, she was already dead.

Clare2e said...

Leah- Now that's just darned convenient, the death I mean. Like she was just begging to be left in a bag on the curbside.

Love your two sentences, and I love that feeling myself!

Writing Without Periods! said...

Love your lines, those two sentences. Wow 1K words per day. that's alota!
Mary

Leah J. Utas said...

Clare, nothing so much fun, I'm a-feared. She was on the lowest level of the wrong side of the afterlife so I didn't advance her.
Thanks.

Leah J. Utas said...

Mary, thanks so much. I'm going to be lost when I finish this first draft.