Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Thought for Food

The recent rain meant it's been too wet for my husband to work. This has kept him home and in the house as it's too wet for him to do anything outside.
When this happens he bakes.
He made a rhubarb and sweet cicely pie in the morning. It is resting comfortably in the refrigerator.
In the afternoon he turned his attention to coconut custard. He used coconut milk in it and had some left over and what could I think of to use it in?
I was in the process of telling him I couldn't think of a thing when it hit me: carrots.
I added it to a pot of steamed carrots and let them gently simmer for a few minutes.
This is what it looked like:

They go very well together.

It made an interesting counterargument to the Greek salad and homemade pita bread, chicken souvlaki, and tzatziki sauce in the rest of the meal.
As for the custard:
 Husband outdid himself.
It was hard to stop eating it.

And so ends a rainy day well spent.

8 comments:

Hilary said...

Oh no fair making me drool! Everything looks so yummy. I love tzatziki sauce on so many things.. homemade pita.. yum. Salad.. oh yes. And that custard? Well more drool. You two certainly make the best of a rainy day.

Laurita said...

Well, looks like the rainy weather has some benefits. That looks delicious.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Hilary. I realize it's rotten of me to do this.

Laurita, it does. Mike is a gifted baker.

messymimi said...

Wow. Looks absolutely fabulous, and i'll bet it tasted even better.

Leah J. Utas said...

Messymimi, it was. It's in the fridge now and I can hear it calling.

solarity said...

So glad I happened to read this post immediately after supper. Only my eyes are jealous.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

A high compliment, Mary Anne. Thank you.

Reb said...

A few days late as usual. Everything looks good enough to eat ;)