Thursday, February 12, 2009

A Moment With The Albatross


I’ve wanted to see an albatross since we read The Rime of the Ancyent Marinere by Samuel Taylor Coleridge back in school.
I’ve seen them on nature programs but all it did was sharpen my desire to see them in their natural habitat at the bottom of the world.


Listen, Stranger! Mist and Snow,
And it grew wond'rous cauld:
And Ice mast-high came floating by
As green as Emerauld.

At length did cross an Albatross,
Thorough the Fog it came;
And an it were a Christian Soul,
We hail'd it in God's name.



And a good south wind sprung up behind,
The Albatross did follow;
And every day for food or play
Came to the Marinere's hollo!


It wasn't quite the land of mist and snow, but it was a few hours away from Cape Horn when they joined us and it was cold and misty. That's good enough for me.
We saw several varieties of the bird and we had them around for several days during the cruise. We watched them glide along the surface of the water and occasionally go through a swell and come out the other side of it seemingly unaffected.
It was a great joy to have these seabirds accompany us on our journey.


... italicized material from The Rime of the Ancient Mariner by Samuel Taylor Coleridge

14 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

How exciting! And using the pictures with the script was brilliant!

Great post, cousin!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, df Bag Lady. I was thinking about that poor condemned fellow all the while we were rounding Cape Horn and with every albatross I saw.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Totally loving all these pictures from your trip.

And I'm so glad you got to see your albatross!

Missicat said...

I love that last picture! Actually love them all, but that one really speaks to me.
How wonderful you got to see your bird...I have spotted an eagle while running along the Potomac River, but unfortunately never have a camera with me...

Redbush said...

The albatross looks so graceful. I can just feel the cold water beneath his wings. The poetry was terrific! I really enjoyed it!

Leah J. Utas said...

Crabby, thanks so much. I'm glad you're enjoying my efforts.

Missicat, that eagle must have been quite a treat. It's good to know the pictures touch you.

Redbush, welcome to my blog. They are a graceful bird. It was an amazing sight to see them fly through a swell.

Reb said...

Leah, those are stunning shots! So beautifully suited to the the poem. I am so glad you got to see your Albatross and are willing to share.

Leah J. Utas said...

Reb, thank you so very much. I was so pleased to have albatrosses guide us during the cruise.

Hilary said...

Wow, Leah. What a gift. To and from you. Thanks for sharing.

Leah J. Utas said...

Hilary, you're quite welcome. I'm so glad you're enjoying my pics.

Frank Baron said...

Ah, I was practically there. They're magnificent birds. I'd love to see one in the flesh. Thanks for the vicarious thrill.

Leah J. Utas said...

You're quite welcome, Frank. And they really are magnificent.

Barbara Martin said...

Perfect photos for the poem, Leah.

Leah J. Utas said...

Oh, thank you Barbara. Good to hear.