Monday, August 3, 2015

Gratitude Monday --Mountain Feasts Edition

Jasper and Banff National Parks are a short, easy drive from my home in Rocky Mountain House.

Highway 11, a.k.a. The David Thompson Highway, passes through Rocky on its way to join Highway 93, a.k.a. the Columbia Icefields Parkway.
The parkway is the portion of Highway 93 through the two parks beginning at Jasper townsite and ending at the Trans-Canada near Lake Louise.
It's about a two hour drive west from my house to Saskatchewan Crossing. That's where #11 meets #93.
The mountains begin about an hour west of Rocky.
It's fairly easy to go out for a hike, or a drive.  I am so grateful I get to live here and that we have enough sense to get out and enjoy the mountains as we can.
This year we've been picnicking, too.
They are simple affairs: gluten free bread or crackers, cheese, sausage, water, Coca-Cola, but with the sight of the mountains and the spicing of the fresh air, they are feasts.

This photo taken by Mike on Saturday is at a scenic stop just south of Saskatchewan Crossing in Banff National Park.





12 comments:

messymimi said...

Lovely! And thank you for sharing your mountain scenes with us.

Leah J. Utas said...

My pleasure, Messymimi.

solarity said...

Ah, picnics! I miss them, but I must say I don't miss traveling far enough from home to need to take a meal with me.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Why not picnic in your back yard? Or just take a sandwich outside?

Anonymous said...

So beautiful. I need to head west for some mountain air. Love that you get out there and enjoy what life has to offer!

Leah J. Utas said...

Let me know if you're in the neighbourhood.

solarity said...

Why not? Flies. I have a dog. I scoop the yard, but I don't scrub it.
:)
Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Ah, sensible.

Virginia Lee said...

I am determined that one day I shall share such a feast with you, soulgoob. xoxo

Leah J. Utas said...

So shall it be, VL.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Sounds heavenly!!! Food just tastes better outdoors. Well, until I drop it in the dirt and have to brush it off and hope no one notices.

Good on you for getting out and having adventures!

Leah J. Utas said...

So true, Crabby. Fresh air is the best spice.