Thursday, September 6, 2007

Wake Up Call With A Twist

I’ve had some different wake up calls over the years.
I mean this literally.
If I want to awaken at a certain time it commonly happens. Often it’s a natural progression, but a few times there’s been outside help.

A few days ago I decided I wanted to be up at 5 a.m. I’d been sleeping in, if you can call 6 a.m. that, and I wanted to get back on track. I have a better day when I’m up early.

So before I went to sleep I told myself to wake up then. The next morning I heard a deep, if slightly distorted, voice from the vicinity of my left ear say my name.
The distortion was similar to a tape being played as the batteries are nearly spent, slow, low, and barely discernable. I didn’t hear the “L” sound, but I heard “eeeaaaahh” and filled in the rest myself. It was exactly five o’clock.

Today’s had an interesting twist. I need to bake bread for my husband today and neglected to leave myself a note last night as a reminder. Instead I told myself I’d remember. This usually works.

But just to make sure today at 5:30 a.m. I got a bit of a boost. I was in that lovely half world between wake and sleep when I heard the bread machine go through one rotation of the knead cycle.
It was clear, loud, distinct, unmistakable, and came from the kitchen. It made me smile. I got up at 6 o’clock and left myself a note. I’ll get the bread going in a while.

Thank you, Spirit.

3 comments:

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Leah,

This is very cool! I have the ability to tell myself at night what time I need to get up in the morning and then I do, but I never hear my name.

And, of course, I don't hear a bread machine. probably because I don't have one.

Seriously, that is just super. While I may have an inner sense that helps me wake up, your inner sense has connected to your outer sense. Very terrific.

You are movin' girl!

Terrie

Leah J. Utas said...

Terrie - It never occurred to me that my inner and outer senses had connected. Thanks for that.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Leah & Terrie,
You both are so way ahead of me--I don't have an inner or an outer sense! I just have an alarm clock.

(I do actually have a bread-maker, but appropriately enough, it doesn't work either).