Friday, November 28, 2008

Did Hell Freeze Over?


This is not a picture of Hell. It's a frozen pond. I took the photo with my new Olympus 850SW.

I never thought this would happen, but it did.
A telemarketer hung up on me a few days ago.
She was a persistent little cuss determined to do her job. I told her repeatedly that I didn’t want the Calgary Herald. I get the Edmonton Journal. I like it.
My refusal only made her more ardent. I could get all manner of wonderful extras and could even still get the Edmonton Journal’s digital edition.
I said no a bit firmer and proceeded to tell her that she was going a very good job and that persistence was good, but I really was not interested. I was quiet. I heard the hum. There was no one on the other end.
I have to say I’m at a bit of a loss. I was kind about it. I simply wanted her to understand that no means no.
But she saw fit to hang up. That technique might work in face to face conversation with some people, but it doesn’t work on me. It is pointless over the phone between a client and a telemarketer.
I hope she had a good day. I certainly did.


13 comments:

Anonymous said...

CLASSIC!
and such a seinfeldian moment. (am I dating myself even saying that?)

now that is my goal, leah.

to kill a telemarketer so much with kindness yet firmness thats/he hangs up on ME :)

the Bag Lady said...

Ah, if anyone could make a telemarketer hang up on them, it would be you, dear cousin! I'll be chuckling all day over this!! :)

Leah J. Utas said...

MizFit, I never thought of it that way, but you're right. I wish you all speed in achieving your goal.

dfBag Lady, what a wonderful compliment. Thank you. And I'm tickled I made you laugh.

Crabby McSlacker said...

I like your technique! I used to just be rude and say a curt "not interested" and thenm hang up on them.

But since they started having those "do not call" registries in the states, it's gotten a LOT better. Plus, I'm a big believer in screening. (Which also works well because the Lobster is NOT a believer in screening and tends to pick up, meaning she gets to deal with random callers in case they might be her mother or something. Heh heh heh).

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Crabby. We've got a fresh, new do not call registry here. I haven't signed up yet though I will shortly.
We take whatever call we get here.

Barrie said...

I wonder what her boss would say? Great photo, BTW.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Barrie. I wondered about the boss, too. Might have been interesting to overhear.

Hilary said...

Gorgeous shot, Leah. Looking forward to many more.

I recently had one hang up on me as well. The persistent ones piss me off but there are some I just can't help messing with. This one wanted to clean my ducts. I told them that mine were totally resentful of that sort of intrusion, but that I had some geese who were willing...

silence.. click!

Leah J. Utas said...

There's nothing worse than a resentful duct! Hilary, that hilarious. Thanks.

Reb said...

I love your new camera! Wonderful photo Leah.

Good for you for making her hang up on you! I am a firm believer that my phone is not for public use and that means incoming as well.

Congrats on the award from Wednesday.

Leah J. Utas said...

Reb, thanks so much. It's got a voice feature for movies. I'm looking forward to playing with it. There's so much to learn.

Thomma Lyn said...

Oh wow, what a stunning photo! And telemarketers, ACK! You handled that situation perfectly. :-D

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you and thank you again, TL.