Monday, August 20, 2012

Gratitude Monday --Garden Goodness

It's that time of year again. Harvest is nearing. Many garden vegetables are ready to eat now and they are very tasty.
A bit of patience will yield a bigger harvest, and I will be leaving some in the ground, but there's no point depriving myself and my husband of tender, sweet carrots.
The yellow beans have been producing like mad. I lost many of them to an early season hailstorm. Those that survived are doing their best to make up for the loss.
The potatoes in the photo are courtesy my FIL. He's been supplying us with tomatoes, green beans, and carrots.

I am grateful for a great many things this week, but if I had to pick one I'd say it is the taste of a carrot, barely washed and straight from the dirt.

11 comments:

Miz said...

patience will yield a bigger harvest.

words to live my week by.

Tabor said...

I agree with Miz!

Leah J. Utas said...

Why thank you, Miz.
And you, too, Tabor.

Red said...

Fresh vegetables from the garden are the greatest. Stuff from the store is like cardboard.

Leah J. Utas said...

Red, too true. There's no comparison.

messymimi said...

Oh, yum. How i wish i could grow things.

Love your take on patience.

Leah J. Utas said...

Messymimi, it is regrettable you can't. Thanks.

the Bag Lady said...

I totally agree - there's just nothing like garden-fresh produce!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Bag Lady. It's the best.

Reb said...

hmm, wonder if I should pull a carrot and see if they are ready...it's the only thing I am trying to grow this year, so I hope they are good ;)

Hilary said...

I'm hoping that by this time next year, I can report something similar. For now, I'll drool over your harvest.