Monday, October 9, 2017

Gratitude Monday--Thanksgiving Edition

Today is Thanksgiving in Canada. I am grateful for the holiday, but I think it is important to be thankful all the time, not just once a year, or even once a week as it seems by my blog.

We had our Thanksgiving meal on Saturday for convenience reasons and I am grateful that we had a turkey and all which goes with it. And that brings me to my gratitude this week.

Squash.

We get squashes from Mike's parents. They are tasty enough and I am happy to have them, but as a veggie goes, they are adequate in my view. I've found a few ways to prepare them and that's all good, but on Saturday, I found the best way ever.
When I roast a turkey I put all the veggies in with the bird so all the flavours can get to know one another, exchange essences, and strive toward the greater good. On Saturday I threw in cubed squash.
I am so very grateful that I did because squash roasted in turkey juices is about the best thing ever.

8 comments:

solarity said...

Happy Thanksgiving. I'm having to rewind and figure out that you baked fall squash, not summer squash? I suppose summer squash would taste good but they'd be baked to death rather soon.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Mary Anne. This was a kabocha squash. I'm sorry I caused you confusion.

Anonymous said...

Happy Thanksgiving!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you.

solarity said...

Leah, don't be sorry. Confusion is exercise for the brain!

Mary Anne in Kentucky

messymimi said...

Happy Thanksgiving! While a continual attitude of thanksgiving is a great thing, it's also nice to stop once a year and remember to be thankful as a group or society or country.

crabby mcslacker said...

Happy (very belated) Thanksgiving!

I get the feeling every day is Thanksgiving for you, gratitude comes so naturally.

Kambocha? It's one of my favorite vegetables, and as I recall, it's good for you in some weird way. Can't remember why though. But roasting it in turkey juice sounds intriguing, the sweet/savory combo is probably delicious. Thanks for the idea!

Leah J. Utas said...

Good point, Messymimi.

Crabby, my pleasure. I hope you enjoy it as much as we did. May I suggest throwing some sweet potatoes in the mix? They go well together.