Monday, March 19, 2018

Gratitude Monday --What Might Have Been Edition

I slipped on the ice in a filthy mud puddle in a driving lane between two parking lots, and I am grateful.
Here's why.
I am fine.
Last Thursday was a cold, wet, grey day. I had my car in for a wheel alignment and to pass the time I walked across the road to a store. On the way back I had to walk in the puddle to give room to oncoming traffic, had there been any, and slipped.

The fall wasn't that hard. I believe I hit my back first and probably kind of rolled before knocking the back of my head on the wet ground. It was a good thunk, but I was mostly down already so it was only a drop of an inch or two.
This makes a difference.
I got up and immediately did some neck stretches and rolls and have kept doing them.

After my initial assessment at ER I was left to wait for 45 minutes before being called in to a room. Once in a room I was left for an hour. Rather than complain I was grateful.
When you are left alone it means you aren't in any danger. It's when they take you straight in and fuss over you that you need to worry.

Now I've got much to whine about over this. I was soaked and cold and did not feel clean and I had a headache.
However, I could have cracked my skull open, gotten a concussion, bruised myself, fallen face first in the icy water, or even broken my hip.
But none of that happened.
Instead I am grateful that all I had was a wee bump at the back of my head that was all but gone the next morning, whiplash, and a few pulled muscles.
As I said at the top of the post I am fine, and for it I am grateful.


6 comments:

solarity said...

We are also grateful that you are fine, and can continue writing interesting things for us to read.
My personal gratitude moment this morning is on a smaller scale: I'm grateful I somehow managed not to spill my coffee while having a sneezing fit.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you, Mary Anne. I'm glad your coffee didn't spill.

Anonymous said...

Yikes! I am very grateful you are not too worse for wear!!! I had an experience last week in a shiny, sparkly, new ER and was grateful too. I had a big fancy chair to sit in that reclined and I had people to push me around in a wheelchair which made me feel like Queen for a Day! LOL!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Kimberley. Gratitude makes everything better.

Tabor said...

We both had a very similar experience this month that could have been so much worse. I posted about it before I posted about my cruise and I also was thankful even though very bruised.

messymimi said...

So glad it turned out to be a minor thing, i hope you recover from the whiplash very quickly.