Thursday, August 2, 2007

Request Denied

It was worth a shot.

My lawyer presented an argument for waiver of probate on my dad’s will to hasten the process of getting my Uncle Reynold’s estate paid out.

It didn’t work.

Reynold died in public care. He’d been there most of his life and had accumulated government care money which is to be shared by his siblings or their offspring.

It was ready to be paid out, or so we thought, but my dad died before any cheques we sent.

The Public Trustee’s office has a hard and fast rule about probate of the estate.
Interestingly, this was a new wrinkle in the process for us. Another beneficiary died last spring, but we didn’t hear anything about this requirement until it came time for a pay out.

In fairness, a new officer from the Public Trustee’s office took over the file in the mean time. This fellow isn’t completely soured on life. I suspect that’s the biggest difference.

From the moment my lawyer applied for waiver until the request was shot down I repeated many times daily: “My lawyer’s letter worked.”

It didn’t.

I choose to believe the Universe knows better and there’s a reason for gumming up the works yet again.

So I filled out the forms and made an appointment to see my lawyer to get it done. The Public Trustee’s office has said it would help me if I wanted to file this all by my lonesome.

I don’t.

2 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

I like that you combine Trust in the Universe with actually doing what needs to be done. Some people just do the Trust thing and let fate take care of the rest.

Good luck with the process! Hopefully all these roadblocks will just be temporary.

(And thanks for double-commenting today, that was really nice!)

Leah J. Utas said...

Hi Crabby -
Thanks. The Universe helps those who at least give it a go themselves. Makes us look like we mean it.
The process has to came to an end sometime.