Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Be Subversive: Read



It's that time of the year again:  Banned Books Week
It's time to be subversive: Read a book or 100 that someone somewhere decided was inappropriate.

What a sad joke to perpetrate on an open-minded populace.
Our world has evolved to the point that one complaint about a thing, be it a book or an expression, or an activity can get it removed from public consumption.
This is wrong, appalling, and comes from a base of fear as opposed to reason.
I'm all for complaining when it's necessary. It's about the only way things change.
But when one complaint comes in and it is acted on rather than sticking with what the majority wants, then it bothers me. If a thing is to be changed, let it come from a groundswell of opinion, not one whiner with hurt feelings.
But, back to books.
I've read many of the books on the list.
Lolita should be required reading for Nabokov's gorgeous use of the language.
Banning The Satanic Verses did Salman Rushdie a favour. It made people want to read it, myself included. While reading a book is never a waste of time, that was close. (NB the whole fatwa thing is bad.)

It's a free country and we should be free to read what we want and form our own opinions about.
That's the other  problem with book banning, some one else's opinion is being forced on us. I don't like being told what to think, and I especially don’t like being deprived of materials which can be used to form an opinion.
Let everyone else and me be free to read as we please.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

AMEN.

**waves her copy of huck finn in the air**

Laurita said...

Yes!

I have so many banned books on my shelf. So many classics that could have gone unread if the few had their way.

Leah J. Utas said...

Carla and Laurita. How much less our world would be if we couldn't read those classics.

the Bag Lady said...

I have read many of the books on that list, and enjoyed them!
There have always been and will always be people who try to force their own values and opinions on the rest of us.

Red said...

Amen! It's especially sad when the people asking to ban something have not read it. Banning books is only one area where people attempt to control others.
Good post.

Leah J. Utas said...

Glad to know it Bag Lady. Yep, there always will.

Red, thanks. It is laughable, too,

Reb said...

I like being subversive. If I haven't read, I have certainly seen the movie version of several of the books on the list. Reading is so much more fulfilling though and I see I have a few more to read ;)

messymimi said...

Leah, i'm in your corner on this. Even if i don't happen to want to read it, it shouldn't be banned, it should be left up to each of us to make that decision.

Leah J. Utas said...

Reb, good on you. Seeing the movie is just as subversive. Agree that reading is more fulfilling.

Messymimi, thanks. It should an individual decision.