Monday, October 1, 2012

Gratitude Monday -- Simmering Stock




It doesn't look like much at this stage.
It's a turkey carcass from the depths of the freezer on high simmer on the stove.
But it makes a fine and tasty stock for soup and for that I am grateful.
I am also grateful that it takes limited effort to do it and making soup stock ensures that no part of the bird gets wasted.
But more than anything else, I am grateful for the wonderful soothing, enticing smell of the stock on a cool, autumn day.

11 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Sure wish I could pop over later this evening for a bowl of whatever this turns out to be.

Damn, when are we going to get those Star Trek style transporters? Beam me up, dangit!

solarity said...

On the whole, the transporter sounds easier to invent than a smell transmitter. I don't need to eat the stock, I've got some (chicken, though) in the freezer. But I sure would like to share the smell!

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Crabby, I wish you could, too.

Mary Anne, the fragrance was wonderful. I wish I could have shared it, and the soup, too.

Bossy Betty said...

Soup and fall just seem to go together! Now if it would stop being 90 degrees around here every day, we could get on with the seasons!

Hilary said...

Perfect of this first day of October. I hope we'll see the finished product.

Leah J. Utas said...

Betty, they sure do.

Hilary, maybe my next soup will be more eye-pleasing.

messymimi said...

Every turkey carcass deserves such treatment, and i do it, too. You are right, it smells heavenly.

Leah J. Utas said...

You're so right,Messymimi.

the Bag Lady said...

Soup! Just made bread, so now I might have to make soup to go with it!

Reb said...

Mmm, soup and fall. Two of my favourite things.

Leah J. Utas said...

Bag Lady, fresh bread and soup are naturals together.

Reb, two of mine, too.