Monday, February 18, 2013

Gratitude Monday --Garbanzo Bean Edition

Not long ago I made some flatbread. I used a variety of gluten-free flours with the bulk of the recipe carried by chickpeas a.k.a garbanzo bean flour.

Flatbread made with chickpea flour. Am I the only one who sees the likeness to the Muppet's planet Koozebane?
Shortly thereafter I whipped up a batch of hummus, the base of which is garbanzo beans.
The flatbread was good. I use chickpea flour often in my bread baking as I quite like it.
I have been recently blessed with several bags of assorted dried beans and lentils with many of those bags containing chickpeas. That means more hummus in my future.
If organized enough I may make some flatbread or even gluten-free pita and then knock out a batch of hummus to have with it.
Simple beans can do so many things and I am grateful for them all, but to stop and think that both the bread and the dip would be made from the same beans is something for which to be especially grateful, and I am.


10 comments:

messymimi said...

It sounds like you have some delicious, gluten-free recipes, and i'm glad for you.

Leah J. Utas said...

I do, and thanks.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Sounds WONDERFUL, yum!

I'm grateful for avocados today, especially in the form of guacamole.

Leah J. Utas said...

Mmmm, I love guacamole.

the Bag Lady said...

I am amazed at the variety of things you can make with the humble bean.

I love hummus.

Leah J. Utas said...

Me, too, Bag Lady, on both counts.

Hilary said...

Yum.. I love hummus.. especially when it's heavy on the garlic. Good for you.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Hilary. I am never shy with the garlic.

Frank Baron said...

Can't say I'm a bean or hummus fan but I do love home-baked stuff, so perhaps I can be convinced. (But Hil would have to make it.)

Leah J. Utas said...

Home baked is the best, Frank.