Monday, February 25, 2013

Gratitude Monday --There and Back Edition

The world changes all the time and with it changes the roads that one navigates in life. At times the most trying alterations are the physical road changes which move one from A to B and then back to A.
Such changes gave me a sharp slap in the mind over the weekend, and I am here unscathed to tell the tale. For that, and many other things from a wonderful weekend, I am grateful.

This past weekend I visited my best friend in Edmonton. She lives in the west end and I've been driving to her home once or so a year for the past 20 years. Her home is easy to get to and used to take less than five minutes once inside the city proper. I've changed the route a few times over the two decades until I found the most efficient way about a decade or so ago. The west end of the city keeps growing.  I've had to make a turn east sooner, but the change was minor. I still found my target,  Whitemud Drive, quickly.

On Saturday I found things had changed yet again. I hadn't been in the area in at least one year and probably two. It was so built up I didn't recognize my route.
I was headed the proper direction even as it seemed to be a much longer road than in the past. Businesses, homes, and traffic will do that to perception. I started feeling lost. It was making me claustrophobic.
I had a choice: give in and panic or force my mind into logic.
I am grateful I had the sense to choose the latter.
I knew if I continued I would find a main traffic artery. I was still west of my target. I know the core streets and I know the city well enough to know what to do. I also knew I'd get somewhere eventually.
Panic was tempting, but unnecessary.

Ahead of me I saw the pyramid atop West Edmonton Mall. It anchored me to my location and to the moment. Keep it head of me and to the left and I'll be fine, advised my logical mind. After a few more minutes and a few more traffic lights I hit Whitemud Drive, as my logical mind told me I would.

I am grateful for getting there unscathed, for keeping my wits about me, and for knowing that as long as I kept going I'd get somewhere.

9 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

Glad you found your way!

And I'd say "knowing that as long as I kept going I'd get somewhere" is a great motto for life generally!

Leah J. Utas said...

Aww, thanks, Crabby. Great motto idea, too. I may use it as such.

the Bag Lady said...

I, too, have had those wee moments of panic when you think you are lost but actually aren't! On the other hand, I've been known to get confused about where I was going inside my own house... but I think that is something different altogether. *ahem*
Glad you found your way and I hope your visit was fun!

messymimi said...

When i am traveling, i try to keep that panic at bay by remembering that the worst thing that can happen is i have to stop and ask for directions.

Good work, figuring it out.

Leah J. Utas said...

Good to know I'm not alone in thinking I'm lost. It was a great visit.

Messymimi, yes, having to ask someone is the worst thing, and that's a good perspective.

Hilary said...

I totally understand that feeling. I am SO directionally challenged. Good for you for not giving into your panic.

David Cranmer said...

I use to get lost all the time until I married Denise. Her sense of direction is uncanny.

solarity said...

"A sharp slap in the mind" is a wonderful phrase, and a good description of that feeling.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Hilary, panic is the easy way.

David, it's great to have someone to guide you.

Thanks so much, Mary Anne.