Wednesday, May 14, 2008

How Old Do You Think I Am?

Inquiring siskins want to know.


For me the real question is how old do I think I am?
I’ve heard it said, by someone probably famous, that you’re only as old as you feel.
A good, sensible saying. If you feel old and lousy then you’ll act it and you’ll become it. I’m not about to go that route.
However, I was thinking about it last night as I was cleaning up after the evening meal: I don’t know how old I feel.
I have no idea what my current age, 49 ½, is supposed to feel like so a compare and contrast exercise is out of the question.
I’ve had this problem for years. I remember back when I was covering Provincial Court and would hear an accused’s was 40.

“Oooh, she’s old,” I’d think. Then I’d remember I was 41.

If I concentrate I would guess I feel somewhere in my 30s. Until I squat down for something out of a low cupboard and have to think, very seriously, about the process involved in standing back up.
Other than that, I have to consciously remember my age. Another factor is I’m not sure that I look like I’m closing in on 50. I don’t look anywhere near that age to me.
It seems to me I have felt the age I was at other ages. I think I got stuck somewhere and decided it was a good place to stay.
Logically, if I don’t look it and don’t feel it, then all I have left is chronology. It’ll have to do.

Pine Siskin photo courtesy my husband, Mike Mayrl.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel much younger than my age, but don't look younger due to years of California sun. So I'm constantly shocked to see the face of an old lady staring back in my mirror.

Who the hell is she?

The downside of feeling about 20 years younger than I am is that I still feel my life is just getting going, as though I have endless time to get around to doing everything I want to.

Alas, I don't.

Great post!

Hilary said...

Oh I do that too. I hear that someone is 50 and think "old", then I realize that I'm even older.

I think the most child-minded revelation of this entire post was how you indicated your current age. I haven't used "and a half" to describe my age in at least 35 and a half years. ;) That's all I needed to read, to know that the child in you is keeping you young.

I know what you mean though. I certainly don't feel my age, but can't exactly say what age I do feel. I'll think about it and get back to you in about 20 and a half years. ;)

Lovely photo from Mike.

Leah J. Utas said...

Crabby, if you feel you've got plenty of time ahead of you, then that's great. On one hand. One the other hand it might be time to get going on the things you've been meaning to do.

Hilary, I never thought about it being a child-minded revelation. I was thinking last evening about how I used to mark ages in half-years and how I haven't done it in eons.
May marks the half-way point in my year and I was thinking of celebrating it as the new Indiana Jones movie comes out on the half-birthday day.
Yes, I suppose the child in me is keeping me young. She also has me convinced I can eat like I did as a child without impunity. Silly girl.

Leah J. Utas said...

With impunity. Now there's a slip.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

I only feel old early in the morning like this. :-) The rest of the time I feel no older than I did 20 years ago, at least in terms of my body and my general outlook on life. I've gained a lot of perspective, though, and that's where the big difference is.

I'm all for growing up without turning into a grownup!

Leah J. Utas said...

Wonderful way to look at it, Bunnygirl.
Perspective is all.

Reb said...

OMG, you're how old? That means I'm slightly over 48 1/2 and I can't be that old!

Wouldn't it be nice if our bodies reflected our state of mind age? I'm still somewhere in my twenties I'm sure of it, well, until I try to do something taxing, like as you pointed out, get up from a crouch. Sometimes, I am even younger, then I really hurt myself!

the Bag Lady said...

Great post, dfLeah!
I'm much the same way, and do find it shocking to see that old woman's reflection, especially when it's an unexpected glimpse, like in a store window or something.
This morning, though, I'm definitely feeling my age...

Leah J. Utas said...

Reb and dfBag Lady - It would be great if we really were as physically old as we feel.

My reflection and I get along fine,but sometimes I think photos of me have been enhanced with age-appropriate extras.