Thursday, May 1, 2008

A Touch of Cinnamon

I thought I’d switch gears today and offer a post about food that you can put to good use.

A bit of cinnamon kicks up the flavor of meat dishes, especially stews and curries. It’s equally good in lamb and beef. If I ate pork it would probably be good in it too. The chicken experiment is still in the future.

Cinnamon is good for you.

Use only a little, perhaps 1/8 of a teaspoon to 6-8 cups of stew.
It imparts an enticing fragrance and, while you won’t taste it as such, you’ll know something has been tickling your food and making it laugh and sing.

I’d used it in some curries as part of the spice mix, then one day wondered what would happen if I added some to stew. I already used some form of heat like cayenne, though only a bit, along with beer or wine depending on my mood. The cinnamon added a whole new level to the stew as it smoothed it out.
It’s a matter of individual taste, of course, but a little cinnamon goes along way in a savory dish.

12 comments:

Terrie Farley Moran said...

df Leah,

I am with you on this one! As a diabetic I put cinnamon in lots of things, even my coffee and some but not all teas.

I usually learn so much from your food posts, that I am delighted to be able to chime in and say: I know about this and it's really great.

Terrie

Leah J. Utas said...

dfTerrie - It's good to be seconded. Thanks.
I'm glad to know you learn from my food posts.

the Bag Lady said...

dfLeah - I love, love, love cinnamon! One of my most favourite things is cinnamon and sugar on toast. (I know, I know, but I don't care!) Has to be whole wheat toast, with real butter and cinnamon mixed with white sugar (not brown), then it has to be cut into quarters. Okay, I'm a little OCD about some things....

Leah J. Utas said...

dfBag lady - I used to love cinnamon toast, too. I probably still do, but instead of toast I make a hurry-up fake cinnamon bun. With real butter, of course, and white sugar.

Reb said...

Leah, love the new avatar! Cinnamon is great on just about anything. I once ordered French Toast (at a Chinese restaurant, yeah, I know) for breakfast (after night shift) and it came covered with honey and sprinkled with cinnamon. It was soooo good!

Leah J. Utas said...

Reb, honey and cinnamon on french toast does sound good.
I'm glad Jocelyn is such a hit.

Anonymous said...

And eating 1/8 teaspoon of cinnamon daily is supposed to be good for improving cholesterol. I put it in my oatmeal each morning, along with dried cranberries and dried blueberries, Splenda, and skim milk.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks for the cholesterol info, Boots586. I bet it's good on your oatmeal.

Pat said...

Try using real Cinnamon in your recipe and reduce on the sugar. You could also avoid the toxic effects of coumarin in Cassia.

The Cinnamon that we buy in the US is actually Cassia and could be toxic.

Click this link to learn how to identify real Cinnamon from Cassia

Leah J. Utas said...

Hello Pat,
Thanks so much for stopping by. I had no idea about this.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Using cinnamon for savory stuff sounds like a great idea. I love mole sauces (can't do the accent character--I DO NOT mean a rodent sauce) and Indian food that has sweet spices in it, so will have to try the cinnamon trick.

Leah J. Utas said...

Crabby, a wee bit of cinnamon will perk things up.
Let me know what you think of it.