Monday, March 19, 2012

Gratitude Monday -- Moments

Today I must express my gratitude for the quiet moments.
Yesterday was a beautiful near-spring day. The sun has a bit of warmth in it now as it shines on us. The sky is a different, kinder blue. The clouds are warmer and flocculent, not cold and threatening.
It was a pleasure to be behind the wheel of my car. I wanted to keep going, to see what the uncovering world had to offer.
Instead I stopped at a large chain grocery store for a maple long john after having my appetite whetted by a donut hole at a store's grand opening.
It was what I wanted.
I sat with it at a small table near a window and looked out to the sun and the melt.
The store was quiet but for the music, Linda Ronstadt's cover of Roy Orbison's (and Joe Melson) "Blue Bayou." It was fitting and smooth and mournful, in the deep, passionate way.
It was a small island of quiet joy in a warm day, and for it I am grateful.

17 comments:

Laurita said...

Sounds lovely. I'd also be grateful for the warm day. They're scarce around here yet. :)

Leah J. Utas said...

It was, Laurita. Your warm days are coming, I'm sure.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the post. You should take part in a contest for one of the best blogs on the web. I will recommend this site!
all about goats book

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you All About Goats book.

Chris said...

I need to take moments to actively express gratitude. It might help calm me down a bit. Thanks for the reminder, Leah. . . .

thequiltingdoberman said...

Written with such nice feeling. We are not getting a lot of warmth out here so I appreciated "feeling" this blog. I totally know that feeling about wanting to drive and drive!

Have a great week!

the Bag Lady said...

Sounds like it was a lovely day. (Please forgive me for misreading flocculent the first time around.... and snickering about gas clouds.)

Leah J. Utas said...

Chris, I think it will. You're welcome.

Why thank you, thequiltingdoberman. Hope you have a great week, too.

Bag Lady, you are bad. It was.

Bossy Betty said...

Thanks for reminding us to cherish those quiet moments.

messymimi said...

It's the little moments, well appreciated, that make a good life.

Crabby McSlacker said...

This gratitude thing really does make a difference in how I experience my days!

This morning I spent a few moments recalling some of the times in my life when I was stuck in an unpleasant work or life situation that I had to just "get through," then from that perspective, fast-forwarded to the present. Opened my eyes and was struck with how grateful I was for freakin' EVERYTHING!!

Thanks for keeping that grateful feeling going with your reminders.

Leah J. Utas said...

My pleasure, Betty.

So very true, Messymimi.

Crabby, I'm glad to hear gratitude is working for you. Perspective is all.

solarity said...

I'm always grateful for quiet.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Mary Anne, quiet is good.

Reb said...

Quiet is underrated. Especially these days.... riding the bus and hearing the music leaking out from the earphones of the kids in front of me, they will be enjoying permanent quiet sooner than they want if not careful.

Hilary said...

Nobody expresses gratitude more beautifully than you do. It's in every image you post.. everything you say. Well except for your occasional rants. And those are superb in their own way. ;)

Leah J. Utas said...

Reb, it is sad how non one understands silence anymore.

Hilary, thank you so very much.