Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Cold, Hard Cash?

I love this. I absolutely love it. Apparently I won a lottery somewhere and haven’t collected yet and now the payers are getting antsy to give me my money.
Come to think of it I did receive notification a few months back of having won a UK lotto. Maybe I should have paid more attention, because now, well, there are...umm... complications.

Apparently, I may be dead.

From the email from Mr. John Dawey:
“However, we received an email from one Mr. Arnold Gate who told us that he is your next of kin and that you died in a car accident last week. He has also submitted his account to us to transfer the fund to him including his International passport.
We want to hear from you before we can make the transfer to
Confirm if you are dead or not.”

Oh, my. What to do? What to do?

It appears these kindhearted folk got my name off a hypnotist finder list. A quick click of “properties” showed me who else got this email.
How interesting that Mr. Gate came from such a large family.

The email includes an apology from the International Monetary Fund for failing to pay out to me in time. You just don’t see that every day.

Now I wonder, if I confirm that I’m dead, then what will happen?

12 comments:

Crabby McSlacker said...

These email things are so funny!

I got one telling me I'd been left a large sum of money by someone in some obscure country--and even if it wasn't really me they intended, I had the same last name as the decedent and could claim my fortune just by completing a few simple forms and paying a deposit. A loophole--but all perfectly legal, they assured me.

The best thing was: it was addressed to me not under my real name, but as "Crabby McSlacker."

Apparently the McSlacker clan has done quite well for itself!

Leah J. Utas said...

That's hilarious, Crabby.

McSlacker sounds like a really successful name. Can't say I'm surprised at your clan's accomplishments.

Reb said...

Well, Leah, you just tell them that yes, you did indeed perish in a car accident, but that it was on the 30th of February! Tell, them that heaven now has email, but you still are not allowed money, so please, give it to charity! ;)

Just see how long they will try to convince you that you have money coming.

Crabby, that is too funny!

Leah J. Utas said...

Reb, you are truly evil. I am so tempted to follow your advice.

the Bag Lady said...

Now Leah, being the unofficial keeper of the family tree, I happen to know exactly where Mr. Gates fits in our family, and let me tell you, he comes from the evil and nasty side, so you'd better rush right along and inform them that the rumours of your demise have been greatly exagerated. And remember to share your windfall with your favourite relatives :)

Leah J. Utas said...

Bag Lady - Of course you'll back me up on this, right?

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Hi Leah,

I am so happy that the accident wasn't fatal!! ;)

These scams amaze me, but the must make money because they keep on coming.

Terrie

Leah J. Utas said...

Why thank you, Terrie.
Sadly, scams like this do work.

the Bag Lady said...

Of course, cousin, of course. For a small fee...

Hilary said...

Unfortunatly there are very gullible people out in the world. Mix that with greed, or perhaps need, and the ease of electronic transfers... and another scam succeeds. Too bad we're such a predatory species.

Leah J. Utas said...

It's that fateful combination of greed and gullibility, Hilary. You're right.

So how small a fee, Bag Lady?

the Bag Lady said...

Oh, I dunno, half?