Wednesday, October 17, 2007

One Good Turn, Missed

I’m pretty good about following directions to get to a destination. Often when I was reporting I’d have to go to someone’s home be it in town or the country. That meant directions.

My preference ran to getting road signs and landmarks, and in the rural area, mileage was always help. Each one confirmed the other in my view. After a few years I could hear directions like “turn right after where the old round barn used to be” and I’d be okay.

Most of the time it went well. People commonly give good directions and with an estimate of how long it ought to take me to drive there, I was usually on time. I was even early on occasion.

Except for the Kiss of Death addition. Sometimes my interview subject would say, “You can’t miss it.”

Wanna bet?

I always found a way to rise to the challenge. Turnoffs were missed; wrong roads were taken.

To my credit I found my way and was only a few minutes late, but it still happened. I’d get close to my destination and then miss it. Signs were rendered invisible. Landmarks vanished.

I’d usually catch on within a few minutes and turn around. Interestingly, the landmarks reappeared after I’d passed and were waiting for me on the return trip.

Once I realized what would happen due to those fateful words I gave myself an extra 15 minutes “get lost” time. It paid off because I’d still miss my mark initially, but I arrived on time.

I’d like to say the getting lost part was fun, but at the time it was frustrating. Now I see it as part of the adventure.

10 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

Ah, yes. Directions. Some people can follow them, others, well...
Living in the country, I always have to give directions to new visitors. I have learned to give them way too much information, just in case.
The municipal gov't has now given us all numbers. (Knew it would happen, eventually, but they'll never get that micro-chip inserted into MY forehead, I'll tell ya!)
If I ever need to incorporate the number in my directions, I'll have to run out to the road to read the damned sign!
Map-reading is another story, too. I've seen people reading maps who have to actually stand up in the car and turn their bodies in the direction they think the map goes...hysterical! (If you ever see a little red truck going down the road with someone's ass stuck in the windshield, you can bet it's my other half trying to read the map!)

Leah J. Utas said...

That could just as easily be me, Bag Lady. I'm not so good at reading maps. I can a bit. I can manage road maps so I do get by.
It's best if I get too much information.

Hilary said...

Good post. I'd have been here sooner, but Bag Lady gave me directions..

Leah J. Utas said...

Nice one, Hilary.

the Bag Lady said...

Like I said, some people can follow directions...:)

Hilary said...

Hey.. quit pointing the way with THAT finger! ;)

the Bag Lady said...

Hey, Leah: Hilary lost a khaki green sock - think you can check your tree? :)

Leah J. Utas said...

I'll get right on it.

Reb said...

Bag lady, I've tried to follow your directions...don't think it is your fault Hilary!

Working for the police all those years ago, I had one person, when asked where he was calling from, said: "home". I answered phones for 13 detachments - the top right hand quarter (almost) of AB!

Hmmm, I may have to do a post one day on all the stupid calls, I used to get.

the Bag Lady said...

Hey, what is this - Pick on Bag Lady Day?