Friday, October 19, 2007

Throwaway Friday

I have no idea if this is a good thing to do. I wrote this several years ago and thought it had some potential.
It’s been languishing in a desk drawer for more than a decade. I thought I’d bring it out to the light, clean it up a bit, and set it free to roam the blogosphere.

Faery Day

I used to hide in a copse of willows just up the hill and watch. Their wings glittered as they caught the late afternoon sun. They’d swoop and dance just above the water near the bend in the creek.
I used to pretend, you know, as the warm August sun caressed their faces, that I was with them; singing and flying and laughing as they chased dragonflies above the sparkling water.

That was nearly 70 years ago. I hardly recognize the creek today. My willows are gone. It’s a bare spot now, though covered with the crisp yellow-brown leaves of October.
The water is barely a trickle. Waning daylight barely touches it.

Oh, wait. There. Out of the corner of my eye near the bank I see one, no two, more now. They are here. Oh, if I could just . . . what did you say? I’m sorry. My old ears. I can hardly hear you.
My eyes are heavy and I’m so tired, but I want to keep watching. And now I’m so light. So airy. And what’s that rushing sound?

I’m swooping and swirling and diving above the water at the bend. I’m smiling and I’m so happy. . . so happy.
They’re here, all around me, and they’re smiling too and they’re asking me something.

Why, yes. Yes. Thank you. I will dance with you today.

11 comments:

the Bag Lady said...

Leah, I love it! You should do this every Friday...! The world needs more stories, and more faeries.

Leah J. Utas said...

Oh, thank you Bag Lady.
I wanted feedback. I'm so happy you enjoyed it.
You're absolutely right. The world does need more faeries.

Ann (bunnygirl) said...

What a sweet little snippet! I agree with the bag lady. See what you may have started?

Crabby McSlacker said...

Very sweet... I'm starting to feel all swirly myself!

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks so much Bunnygirl and Crabby.

Terrie Farley Moran said...

df Leah

This is a pleasure to read. It is so lyrical it sings.

My biggest problem in creative writing is that I have to constantly fight my thirty years of business writing. You are a journalist and yet there is not a hint of journalistic style in this piece.

Kudos.

Terrie

Leah J. Utas said...

dfTerrie - What a lovely compliment.
"...so lyrical it sings" is going to keep me smiling for quite some time.
Thank you.

Reb said...

I love it Leah! Makes me want to find the stream and watch the Faeries dance.

Leah J. Utas said...

That's wonderful, Reb. Thank you.

Michael said...

It was moving in more ways than one, Leah. I like it.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you, Michael.