Monday, November 19, 2012

Gratitude Monday --Funeral Edition

Am I saying I am grateful for funerals?
Well, yeah.
Saturday was my Uncle Marvin's funeral. He was the last of my dad's siblings.
It was a good service. The Bag Lady put together a fine eulogy. We had plenty of time afterward to visit and several of us had dinner together afterward.
And really, that's the point.
Funerals are for the living to gather, say good-bye, share memories, and if you really want to honour someone like my uncle, you'll find a way to enjoy yourself while doing it.
I got to see cousins I only converse with through social media. Saturday's service provided the opportunity to socialize in person, and that's getting to be a lost art.
We had plenty of reunions growing up and have kept the tradition, after a fashion, over the years even though they've gotten farther between.
On Saturday there was talk of reviving the reunion, and that's another reason to be grateful.
 The gentleman responsible for Saturday's gathering is second from right.

14 comments:

Tabor said...

Perfect attitude I must say. Maybe I should invite you to my funeral?

Unknown said...

I saw the photos on facebook and loved imagining you the the BL together.

Leah J. Utas said...

Tabor, I'll stop short of saying I'd be happy to be there, but I'd go.

Carla, it was, it its own way, a blast.

the Bag Lady said...

I, too, am grateful that we all had a chance to get together, although I had hoped that the reason for the gathering wouldn't happen for an indefinite amount of time.
But death is the only certainty in life, and funerals give us a chance, not only to say goodbye, but to reconnect with our loved ones.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Sorry that the occasion was a sad one, but glad that you had the chance to reconnect. Hope the reunions are resurrected!

Love your attitude about life and death, seems a very healthy one to me.

Leah J. Utas said...

Bag Lady, no one wants to hurry that sort of thing along.

Crabby, thanks.

Red said...

I'm sorry for your loss but out of it you've learned something of value. make those reunions happen.

messymimi said...

Not grateful for death, just grateful for a chance to see those you love. Yes, i get it.

Reb said...

In spite of the reason, it was enjoyable to see everyone again. I do hope the reunion happens.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you, Red. I'm sure we will.

Exactly, Messymimi.

Reb, it was good to get together.

Hilary said...

A am sorry for your loss.. yours and your two wonderful cousins. But I'm glad that you three (and no doubt others) had the chance to get together and plan future reunions. Hugs to all of you.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thank you for your kindness, Hilary.

solarity said...

I was nineteen the first time I went to the funeral of someone I was not related to. It was so peculiar: no one told any funny stories about the deceased; there was no laughter, only tears. Just looking at the pictures Bag Lady provided makes me think your uncle's funeral was more like my family's funerals. We do rather focus on gratitude for the life more than grief for the death. Hope you can strike a balance there.

Mary Anne in Kentucky

Leah J. Utas said...

Mary Anne, it's always good to remember funeral contains the word "fun."
Celebration for a life isn't for everyone, of course, but I'd rather do it that way.