Monday, November 12, 2012

Gratitude Monday --Squirreltainment


We have a very determined squirrel.
When we moved the feeder high in the green ash tree via block and tackle the poor critter was stumped. We were entertained late last week as he ran up and down the branches shaking his head and his tail in agitation and consternation, cogitating as only a squirrel can.
He went away, but he did not give up.
All the cogitating paid off as yesterday he made the leap over to the feeder and took his fill.
I would rather he left it for the birds, but the cold is here and a critter's got to eat.
While I am grateful for the entertainment, it goes deeper. I am grateful for the lesson in perserverance.
Where there's a will-- and food for winter--there's a way.


13 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh I lovelovelove that word.
squirreltainment.

Leah J. Utas said...

Thanks, Carla.

Tabor said...

Squirrels who eat nuts...sometimes drive me nuts.

Leah J. Utas said...

Aye, Tabor.

Crabby McSlacker said...

Glad you got some great squirreltainment!

We had to buy a special kind of bird feeder because of the persistance of the squirrels; felt bad for them but the birds sure were appreciative!

messymimi said...

We used to have a pet squirrel (don't try it! please!), and i can tell you they are entertaining but they are destructive and never, ever give up.

Leah J. Utas said...

Crabby, I'll keep the squirrel -proof feeder option in mind.

Messymimi, I'm sure the pet squirrel was worth his weight in antics.

the Bag Lady said...

I, too, have a persistent squirrel. They learn quickly, too... when I see him on the feeders I have hanging on the deck posts, all I have to do is yell "Squiiirrrel!" and he runs away. It has become a bit of a game.
As long as he doesn't start chewing holes in my house, he gets to steal birdseed. First sign of a hole, though and drastic measures will have to be taken.

Leah J. Utas said...

Squirrel stew?

Hilary said...

They are indeed tenacious and so much fun to watch. Frank has one feeder which seems to be squirrel-proof, so far. The rest are fair game though.

Reb said...

They are persistent little devils aren't they? Good shot.

Leah J. Utas said...

Hilary, they put a smile on my face.
Reb, they are the very personification squirrelsonification?) of that word.

vicki said...

That's great - and I like your forgiving attitude